Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logo for a Cake Business

Discussion in 'Logo Design' started by Criss, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Criss

Criss New Member

Sep 21, 2012
    I did this for a small Home-Based Business. Thoughts????

DDcake6x6.jpg

Tags:
  2. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

Hope that isnt gonna be done in cut vinyl :omg:

By the way, a word of warning. Some users on here will be very straight forward if they think your design is "not good". But most of the users help you learn to make improvements.

3. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    get rid of the dragon fly and cupcake.
    refine the text. good start

4. ironchef

ironchef Very Active Member

May 1, 2012
    Miami, FL
    I agree. Take out cupcake. Change font. I get the dragonfly clip art, but change it. And do a more simple dragonfly. or integrate it with the cake. What is the business going to concentrate on selling? If its not wedding cakes. Maybe go with whatever they will feature.

5. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    The three pieces of clipart are three different styles and don't work together.

Scriptina ranks up there with Bleeding Cowboys as the most overused bad fonts in the industry.

I like the idea of using a whimsical font for the name but that ones ain't it. Of course a lot of bakers are just weird (I blame it on the yeast/lard/sugar fumes) so you might be right on track with what they're looking for.

Overall it's not bad, and a majority of the people won't notice the difference, it's just that with a little more work you can set it apart. This is kind of what I'm talking about. (disclaimer: the "clip art" is a google swipe for illustration purposes only)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  6. SlightlyChilled

SlightlyChilled Very Active Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    Nice Pat

Now on to your disclaimer... Funny that we have to explain our actions around here more times then most.

7. showcase 66

showcase 66 Very Active Member

Sep 23, 2010
    I like the idea of the stylized cake but I really dont care for the Scriptina font. It has been overused in my opinion. It looks nice up close but distance wise, it will be hard to read. Wasnt sure what it was in the thumbnail. Pats idea is clean and easy to read.

8. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Have a dragonfly or a cake but not both.
    Maybe a cupcake with a little dragonfly pick looking thing.
    No Scriptina, if you must use it, watch the kerning and only use it for one of the words.
    Or just use Pat's idea.
    Love....Jill

9. Criss

Criss New Member

Sep 21, 2012
    I informed her today she is getting a new one...lol All input is welcomed.....I do listen.

10. steeltech

steeltech Member

Jul 16, 2012
    The trail behind your Dragonfly looks like a "D". Consider that in a retool. That would keep the dragonfly incorporated into the name, but not into the graphic. I just dont like pests near my cake, and that includes family. But back to your design, the cupcake and/or a wedge of cake would go nicely under the right font and dragonfly.

11. SD&F

SD&F Very Active Member

Oct 4, 2009
    I like Jill's imput and would start with that

12. Criss

Criss New Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Working on it bit by bit. (Day job gets in the way) Hope to have new one to put up soon.
    All the advice has been very helpful and educational.

13. Rage Wraps

Rage Wraps Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Medinah, IL
    Decent start, but I would work more in a horizontal format. The text is to much, scriptina correct? Use elements on the font and simplify the rest. Everything reads as separate sections and has to flow.

14. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
    This thread is like 20 days old?