• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo from Istock

7oaks

One of my clients wants to use a logo he found on Istock. It apparently is a vector and he wants changes in color. I've read some posts here about copyrites and usage but apparently not enough to figure this out.

Can I purchase this logo, make changes and sell it to him to use for signage and I suppose brochures and advertising or maybe a website.

I know you guys will guide me in the right direction. I haven't seen the logo yet.

Thanks

Ken

weaselboogie

And like we've learned as of recently, there's legally nothing stopping anyone from buying and using this same logo. Let him know not to get pissed off if he happens to see a logo that looks somewhat like his. He's giving up his uniqueness by going with a cheaper alternative.

3CGraphics

istock offers several levels of rights - when you check out you can see them all - as stated none are exclusive and it varies from piece to piece so you have to check for each one.
One of my clients wants to use a logo he found on Istock. It apparently is a vector and he wants changes in color. I've read some posts here about copyrites and usage but apparently not enough to figure this out.

Can I purchase this logo, make changes and sell it to him to use for signage and I suppose brochures and advertising or maybe a website.

I know you guys will guide me in the right direction. I haven't seen the logo yet.

Thanks

Ken

DOGraphics

And like we've learned as of recently, there's legally nothing stopping anyone from buying and using this same logo. Let him know not to get pissed off if he happens to see a logo that looks somewhat like his. He's giving up his uniqueness by going with a cheaper alternative.

:omg: What do you mean .... ProWeaselboogie

:ROFLMAO:

GK

Read Here You may need an extended license option. Contact the original artist from iStock. If you sold the logo to him with the changes and they went out and started using the logo on things that could be resold, you will need additional licensing.

Artildawn

As I see it you're not marking up the cost of the logo, you're just going to pass the cost onto him. What you would will be charging is a design fee for modifying the logo. So, the customer is buying the logo along with your services in changing it. Am I off base here?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
From IStock photo...

Using an image as part of a business name, logo, trademark, design mark or service mark.
The whole point of having a logo, business name or design mark is so that it will be unique in the marketplace. How can your logo be unique if you're using a royalty-free file that millions of other people could have downloaded? Besides violating the iStockphoto Content License Agreement, using an image in this way also infringes upon the rights of the artist who created the file. If these aren't reasons enough, good luck trying to develop or enforce rights in conjunction with a logo that uses a royalty-free image.

7oaks

Thanks everyone, Michael you are right on target but he will probably want signage as
well as other materials.

Rick--excellent point .

Weasel--you are so right. I will remind him

I posted the question just to be sure. I can now make an informed decision on his logo
choice.

thanks again

Ken