• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo permissions

TrueAmericanSigns

Can anyone shed light on the liabilities (if any) of re-creating popular logos...New York Yankees, Chevy, Ford, Honda, etc. for examples.:help

Thanks....Newbie John

HaroldDesign

If you're having to re-create a logo like that, what it is for is probably illegal. Stay away... LOTS of potential trouble!!!!!!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Why would you need to re-create it? It's already available on those bootlegged swap meet CD's.

As for using it and selling it...better beware. You could get more than a tail in the ringer. Especially with Harley Davidson.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The penalties range anywhere from an attorney cease and desist letter to heavy fines and jail time.

And there are lots of eyes looking for violators. Everyone who stays within channels and sells authorized reproductions will turn your customer in without thinking twice. Then your customer turns you in to save his a$$.

TrueAmericanSigns

How do you handle someone that comes to your shop looking for a large Honda window decal or like you said...a HD decal for the back of their truck?

Sorry for all the questions :thankyou:

Billct2

Jail, fines...and worst of all, shunned by the upstanding members of the Signs101 community

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 74

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
How do you handle someone that comes to your shop looking for a large Honda window decal or like you said...a HD decal for the back of their truck?

Sorry for all the questions :thankyou:

I explain to them that what they want isn't legal for me to produce or for them to buy and display unless it comes from an authorized source. That if they want to go online and buy a legal copy of whatever they want, then I will be more than happy to install it for them.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I explain to them that what they want isn't legal for me to produce or for them to buy and display unless it comes from an authorized source. That if they want to go online and buy a legal copy of whatever they want, then I will be more than happy to install it for them.

+1 ...close to word for word what i say as well...

showcase 66

Just tell them that you dont have the copyright to the logo's but like stated above, if they want to purchase a copyrighted item you will do the install. That goes for pretty much any sporting teams. Harley Davidson is the worst. It took me almost 6 months to get approval from them to do a door sign for a motorcycle shop that sells them. You cant even modify their licensed items. The one bike shop here was having an event and wanted to sell the HD beer mugs with the name of the event etched in the glass. We got shut down on the 5th glass because a rep from HD was there and called us on it.
Best be safe and not sell them.

As for the Car logos and stuff. I have done backglasses for ford, honda and toyota dealerships. I have also done them for private owners. I went to all the Dealerships and have received letters from most companies stating I can use their logo on vehicles only as long as I am not defacing the name of the company. ie: calvin pissing on ford or chevy or whoever. It is free advertising for them.

Last edited: