• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

logo problems

strycker

I have a customer who wants to switch sign companies they made him a logo he paid them for that does he own the logo? Or does the sign company own it?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Depends...

The sign company has to transfer ownership to the paying customer in some written form.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I disagree with Creative Lance's reply. He only owns it if the original designer passed his rights onto the customer. If the customer is able to provide you with a production ready file, it is reasonable to assume he owns all rights to his logo. Otherwise, I would want some form of release from the original designer or other proof of ownership.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Oh, i guess that's why i'm here to learn.
Thanks guys!

it's a good thing to know and inform your clients on your policy. Make sure when transfering ownership that you retain exclusive or non-exclusive rights of publicity for your website and printed portfolio.

Quite a few sign shops hold files hostage all the time... get paid enough for the logo or layout so it will not matter if the customer takes their business elsewhere.

beckys

When I sell a "logo" to client, they get 5 diff. versions on disc. They are then free and clear to go wherever they want. Don't believe the, I paid for it crap-because more than likely, they didn't

strycker

$1000 logo

my customer paid 1000 dollars for the logo and 1 small banner,
when he asked them for the logo file they told him no.

slipperyfrog

my customer paid 1000 dollars for the logo and 1 small banner,
when he asked them for the logo file they told him no.

Again unless he has a written transfer of rights concerning the logo he may have just paid them $1000 to create the logo. If they are tough on him he may have to pay more to "own" the logo.