• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Use and Copyright information

joeraptor2003

Hi All
I have a question regarding some copyright questions.

I have a client that wants to do some motocross graphics. The thing is, he wants to use some particular logos in the designs. My question is, What are my limits without getting in trouble with copyright issues? I was under the impression that I needed written consent from each individual company involved in the design.

Sorry for the newbish question (still a newbie:smile:) . I am getting different answers from different people so I figured I would ask the experts.

Thank you
Joe

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Would you like it if someone was making money off one of your original designs?

Ask permission, but you won't like the answer.

joeraptor2003

Would you like it if someone was making money off one of your original designs?

Ask permission, but you won't like the answer.

No, I would not. Being it was a logo, I guess I was not treating as an original design. Usually companies like to get their name out there for advertising purposes. I also have seen a few CDs for sale that have nothing but logos on them. So this kind of threw me off.

Ok thats' t what I thought. Just wanted to confirm.
Thanks for the reply.

rjssigns

If it has anything to do with a certain energy drink that uses a sunburned bovine for its brand I hope you like living in the street. They even have a snitch page on their website.

My personal deal is to get a signed release from the individual companie(s) that spec out all the details. If they can't provide that I politely decline. A potential lawsuit is not worth the risk and some corporations are ruthless in their pursuit.

Locals Find!

My theory on Copyrights is if you think it may be illegal or wrong to use it, it probably is. So, ask permission or don't do it. You can't go wrong with playing it safe.

I have made mistakes and luckily not been slapped with a lawsuit. However, some folks here were polite enough to slap me upside the head first to avoid one.

SKADSIGNS

I get calls to do custom designs on cornhole boards with logos. I turn them down but I see them everywhere so people are doing them!! Are all of these people getting permission? If not are any of them getting sued?

Im loosing money left and right maybe I should make the call and get permission.