• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo use?

68dodgeramman

About two years ago I made a sign for a local bar. I designed the logo that I put on the sign. He paid me to make him a sign. He didn't pay for logo design. So after the sign he had me make some window decals for him with the logo. And that was it. Now I see people all around town with window decals that I didn't make. I do know that the guy that's making them is a regular in his bar. I don't know yet what the bar is charging for them but it kind of p**ses me off. Is there anything that I can do? Or is this just one of those "Live and Learn" moments?

signage

Also did you explain to him about design/ownership initially? If not then maybe you dropped the ball! That doesn't mean you still don't own it but just saying this could make you look bad when word goes around!

Craig Sjoquist

So what I'm getting from this is ... a designed logo by you something like I drink at Joe,s bar kinda thing ,,, is being put on car, house, storefront, etc. windows

Also with NO credit to whom design this outstanding work
I would at least ask for that to be put on next print order or maybe hand him a bill

G-Artist

You own the design unless you gave outright or licensed it to him which must be done in a writing.

You could send him a cease and desist letter (the usual precursor to any form of action) but it would be best if it were under your lawyer's letterhead. That gets attention.

Once done, you will be hearing from him.

At that point you have options.

You can just tell him to stop doing that. You can demand payment for its use. You can offer him either the outright purchase of it plus the assignment of copyright or a license (for a fee per article/nature of article made) to use it.

If he gets seriously belligerent (non-co-operative) then you can sue his ass.

Your counsel can explain all the options as well as costs. Most costs can be recoverable.

Good luck.