• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Long Lasting Outdoor Signage

rdm01

Working on a project that requires we have signs that last 8-10 years on posts outdoors. Signs include items like maps, small logos, and PMS colors, making cut vinyl a very difficult way to produce. In addition, we will most likely need graffiti lam. The project lends itself to printing, but lifespan is a concern. With inks ranging from 2-4 years, maybe a little more with lam, I don't see them looking so hot in 8 years.

Are there other ways to produce these? Screen printing doesn't seem like an option, it's about 80 different signs. Even cut vinyl with graffiti lam is tough, considering some signs would have 4 colors of cut vinyl to try and add lam over - plus small un-weedable text. We have both eco-solvent and uv cured printers, but again, I don't think the lifespan is there.

How would you approach?

tbullo

Superunknown
Depending on budget we use Fossil signs for outdoor long term prints. May not be graffiti proof.

EDIT
FOSSIL CHPL (Custom High Pressure Laminate) signs and murals are impervious to moisture, and are extremely resistant to UV rays, scratching, impact, cigarette burns and graffiti. In fact, they’re so durable we guarantee them for 10 full years.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Check out Aardvark Imaging in Denver, CO. They do a lot of outdoor signage for national parks etc. I believe they warranty their outdoor signs for 10 years. They use proprietary methods and materials to make these signs bomb proof and stand up to the elements and poorly behaved tourists.

Baz

Digitally print cast vinyl and use cast UV overlaminate.
Mount on aluminum/pvc boards and your signs will last a good 8-10 years.

For graffiti. Either lam again with anti graffiti lam or install a 1/8" clear acrylic overtop.

With no experience with anti-graffiti lam my concern would be it's performance overtop cast vinyl.

rdm01

Izone/Fossil/others wouldn't work here. The signs would need to be on .080" aluminum.

Would solvent on cast vinyl really be better than direct print on aluminum?

We've done direct print with graffiti lam and it has worked great, but only a few years out in those tests.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Why are they required to be .080"?

8-10 years is a very tall order for any digital print. I wouldn't trust it if they are wanting them warrantied.

Putting an 1/8" piece of acrylic in front of it can cause problems of cr@p getting in-between, or condensation.

At my last job, we routinely got some whacky requirements, when showing the clients the choices that had, they usually went with the product that would last no matter the thickness.

Andy D

If you were to park a top of the line car, with a top of the paint job paint job and clear coat,
outside in the full baking sun and with people getting who knows what on it, how well
do you think the paint would hold up?
IMHO a 8 year guarantee is way over the top, I don't care what the
outdoor life the manufacturers put on their products.
Best I would offer is two years and then a diminishing prorate to 5 years.

player

Use a liquid UV clear on cast, then laminate.

You could also supply a complete set of replacement signs to be stored indoors.

Dave Sears

Either Fossil or similar vendor. No other choice. Don't take the job otherwise.
Educate them on why alum w/ digital is a very bad choice (they won't come anywhere near the required life)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your customer's request is most unrealistic. If digital printing is the only method to accomplish the final files, then they should be using figures within digital printing's range...... 3 to 5 years.

Electrostatic prints years ago produced much longer lasting vinyls, but finding someone with one of those machines is not fun. We did a wrap back in the 90's with it. It lasted well over 12 years.

ol'phart

10 year life

Use cast 3M vinyl with Cast 3M laminate. It kind of depends on what part of the country you are in. If it's Death Valley it's not going to last but if it's in a mild climate area like the pacific northwest it will be fine. It also depends on which direction the sign is facing when it's installed. This combination of materials printed with a full solvent printer is pretty much the best material you can offer. Don't commit to producing a sign that's going to last 10 years. Even Maytag only guarantees their washers for a year.

Good Luck

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
For graffiti. Either lam again with anti graffiti lam or install a 1/8" clear acrylic overtop.

I also haven't had luck using an acrylic overtop. I did that on one sign, and it got condensation between the two. The condensation wasn't bad, but it was like sunlight through a magnifying glass and absolutely nuked the vinyl. Redid the sign without acrylic and the life span is almost double, and it still looks good.

For those of you saying full solvent instead of eco solvent, can you give me an example please?

OldPaint

i did 2 of these van in 2001..........with avery HP vinyl, the one with the silver backing(high dollar)red out side.
they are outside 24/7/365 in florida sun. i recently did another truck(2012)same vinyl. when they are parked next to each other.......NO DIFFERENCE i depth of color)))))) amazing.......14 YEARS.........

Attachments

• Picture 088.jpg
    Picture 088.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 122