• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

long prints getting ruined?

cha88

i often times have trouble with my longer prints getting ruined...do you guys let your print run off on the the floor when they are long or do you use another method...my prints fold over on top of each other and the ink sticks and when you separate it, it ruins the print? whats your trick other then babysit it?

Gene@mpls

My solution is in the tips and tricks forum- premium. Here is a teaser
picture. Join and if in a year you do not agree you have saved at least
the $50... I will paypal you with it. Gene

Attachments

• VP 1.jpg
    VP 1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 56
  • VP rt.jpg
    VP rt.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 65

MikePro

print at higher temps and slower speeds if you feel you have to let your print hit the ground. this also allows you the time to hand-roll it up while it prints, if you feel like it is your only option.
otherwise, get a take-up system

cha88

running a Roland VS-640, I have been trying to print at night while im gone but ive been running into this problem on the long jobs... i never had a take up reel that obviously would solve alot of problems on the high length jobs... but i have heard alot of people just let it go onto the floor. i was thinking of making a cloth basket like they used to have on the summa cutter i used in school...not sure if this would make a difference or not...

MikePro

cloth basket could work, but you will still run into the issue where the printed faces touch each other.
apologies for offsite link: quick ebay search shows that $400 gets you a nice take-up reel.

Last edited:

mudmedia

Does roland sale their take up reel as an add on? If so I dont think it would be a bad investment I am sure if you keep ruining prints the cost of having to reprint them in material and time will pay for the take up fairly quick.

Best of luck!

401Graphics

I've always experienced ink sticking to itself (ink side to ink side) if it hasn't sat for a day first. A take up reel is your friend.

401Graphics

Even using a take up reel ink can still stick to the backing paper if it's not dried yet.
True. I had that happen when doing a double strike on clear for a back lit menu board. Probably wouldn't have happened if I remembered to put a half second delay between each pass. (it also only happened with the saturated black text)
Putting a fan in front of the print as it comes down helps too. But if your print room isn't spotless expect to get nasty dust in your prints.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
A printer that large and fast does not come with a take up reel standard? Wow.....

Yeah look into either an option OEM or aftermarket one for sure.

cha88

i have a table at the mouth of my printer now and that works awesome when im here to baby sit it... but when i want it to burn a big print after i go home it rolls over on itself and sticks... just making sure i wasn't missing a cool trick you guys were using... maybe a new Roland take up is in my future. I appreciate your replys and insight!

Mosh

What is going to happen if you have a head strike while you are gone and the head doesn't seat???

++take up real.