• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Longest Life Vinyl?

Christian @ 2CT Media

If you are looking for printable set your eyes on the new Urethane products.

All the major brands other than 3M have a Urethane product coming out or out now.

player

If you are looking for printable set your eyes on the new Urethane products.

All the major brands other than 3M have a Urethane product coming out or out now.

Never heard of it... What are the advantages?

I would need profiles for my VP Roland, I cannot make my own.

ORAFOL Americas

Merchant Member
I am looking for the longest life material available. Red, black, white and yellow.

Thanks

Here is life expectancy information on our longest lasting products. Hope this helps!

ORACAL 951: Black and white - 10 years; red and yellow - 8 years
http://www.orafol.com/gp/americas/e...t-details-10187/items/oracal-951-premium-cast

ORACAL 751: Black and white - 8 years; red and yellow - 7 years
http://www.orafol.com/gp/americas/e...10187/items/oracal-751c-high-performance-cast

ORAJET 3951 & 3951RA: 10 years (unprinted)
http://www.orafol.com/gp/americas/e...ing-films-product-details/items/orajet-3951ra

ORAJET 3751RA: 8 years (unprinted)
http://www.orafol.com/gp/americas/e...ing-films-product-details/items/orajet-3751ra

Dennis422

Longest lasting vinyl is the one that is hidden from mother nature (Snow, ice, rain, wind, chemicals, .......)
I doubt that any 12 year rated vinyl will last 12 years if it is constantly exposed to harsh weather or sun. Make sure you explain that to you customer so he/she does not come back after 5-6 years with cracked vinyl demanding a reprint/rewrap.

De.signs Nanaimo

Longest lasting vinyl is the one that is hidden from mother nature (Snow, ice, rain, wind, chemicals, .......)
I doubt that any 12 year rated vinyl will last 12 years if it is constantly exposed to harsh weather or sun. Make sure you explain that to you customer so he/she does not come back after 5-6 years with cracked vinyl demanding a reprint/rewrap.

That's a shame, I have had 5 year vinyl wraps last 8 or 9, seems like you have had bad luck! Never had vinyl fail before rated time before, not even here in a coastal rainforest, or at the ski hills I used to make signs for.

I have even done decals for submersible ROV's no problems with extended time in salt water and sun. When possible I use Rapid Tac as it activates with the glue and it sticks much better than normal.

Vinyldog

I've had more than one mfg rep tell me (off the record) that no one knows how long vinyl will last on a given job. The test they use involve accelerated aging techniques that aren't one hundred percent reliable.
I think the direction it faces has more to do with it than anything. For example a church always parks it’s van with one side facing the South. The other side will last noticeable longer.

That said, I bumped into a customer recently who offered that the sign I did for him back in 1992 using Sharpline products still looks good.
I haven’t laid my own eyes on it yet, but that would be the longevity record my work.

Dennis422

That's a shame, I have had 5 year vinyl wraps last 8 or 9, seems like you have had bad luck! Never had vinyl fail before rated time before, not even here in a coastal rainforest, or at the ski hills I used to make signs for.

I have even done decals for submersible ROV's no problems with extended time in salt water and sun. When possible I use Rapid Tac as it activates with the glue and it sticks much better than normal.

No, no bad luck. My point was to say that the customer should be aware that life expectancy can be shorter depending on the many factors.
One of them, and i think the major one, is how the customer cares about it, let's say a car wrap.
7-8 year rated color change might not last 3-4 years if not cared about. Or, they might be surprised to see their hood or a roof go bad much faster than a vertically installed parts.

That's all

Billct2

I had a customer who's race trailer was parked next to his building, one side protected by the building the other facing the sun. 10 years later the sun side is completely roached other side just needs cleaning to look good as new.
With quality cast films it really is about exposure.

Baz

Cast vinyl is the longest lasting.

As far as manufacturer life expectancy. I couldn't say if one brand lasts longer than another.
To many things can affect the material once it's outside.

I just tell my customers "Cast vinyl: Over 7 years)

decalman

Conditions are the whole key.
I've seen the 8 year cast film go to pieces in 2 years, because of a mixture of WAXING the decal and sun exposure.
Wax and sun, uv rays, destroys vinyl . Wax eats up the plasticides. in the film. Wax plus vinyl = bad

For my money, I'll continue with Oracal 651. ( flat surface) It last long with a coating of Protector 303.