• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking at a Mimaki CJV300-160

wrkalot

We are an established screen print (2 autos) and embroidery (11 heads currently) shop looking to expand our in house offerings. With Mimaki's current specials we can get the 64" for about 2k less that the 54". We are choosing print/cut primarily because of available space. We do have a Graphtec CE6000 we use for the occasional HTV job but are concerned that at 24", it won't be that useful for stickers etc.

We expect our sticker business to be slow out of the gate, given the current economic conditions, but we do have a broad client list and are sure we can make this work. If not we'll have a well taken care of machine for sale late next year :)

Being green in this space I am looking for potential pitfalls with the machine itself. Would there be a better choice for us or are we making a sound equipment investment for stickers and indoor banners/signage.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We have the CJV30 and it’s been an absolute tank for 8 years. Went through one head but that was an operator fault. The printing and cutting were both more than up to standard. Mimaki makes reliable machines.

What I can say, is that the rip software you get with it (rasterlink) is average at best. We did move our mimaki over to onyx. Rasterlink does what you’ll need it to but other standalone rips (such as onyx/caldera) are much better.

You’ll probably want to avoid white ink etc at first if you’re not going to be using the machine much, it can be bit troublesome if left unused.

You might want to switch from using the term stickers though, you’ll be making decals!

If you plan on going this route, you may need a laminator though. The printer/laminator go pretty much hand in hand.

64” is an ideal start though, you don’t wanna go the 54” and regret it the first time you get a banner order for a 5’ by 10’.

wrkalot

Thanks for the reply. We were planning on dual cmyk with orange. I have been reading up and white and silver seem to be troublesome. Not know how this may work out for us we would like to keep as easy as possible to start. Laminators look like pretty simple machines, and easy to add when we feel the need, but we don't plan on getting one initially.

Commando

We ordered this a couple weeks ago. Tech is scheduled for Wednesday to set it up.
Cant wait!
Retiring the jv33 we have. It has done its job.

twmiller24

We have two of the CJV-300s. They are good machines. We have the bulk ink system, and I would retire that for cartridges gladly. Other than that, no complaints.

StratoJet

Merchant Member
Take a look at the StratoJet Hawk which comes with a bulk Ink system and a durable Synthetic Water based 0% VOC Ink (2 years outdoor with no lamination, superflex for Ink stretch, no degassing). It includes a RIP that has all the Graphtec cutters drivers included, so you only have to rip the file once. It comes with everything and you can print up to 64" wide media that can run through all roll 2 roll printers and a sensor driven 4x4 feed and takup for keeping the media feed straight.

Take a look:
https://stratojetusa.com/hawk-72

Last edited:

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Take a look at the StratoJet Hawk which comes with a bulk Ink system and a durable Synthetic Water based 0% VOC Ink (2 years outdoor with no lamination, superflex for Ink stretch, no degassing). It includes a RIP that has all the Graphtec cutters dirvers included, so you only have to rip the file once. It comes with everything and you can print up to 64" wide media that can run through all roll 2 roll printers and a sensor driven 4x4 feed and takup for keeping the media feed straight.

Take a look:
Really makes me wonder if it's so good how come everyone doesn't already have one or just anyone else suggesting for it.

StratoJet

Merchant Member
Really makes me wonder if it's so good how come everyone doesn't already have one or just anyone else suggesting for it.
I agree, I guess that's why I'm here and want to change that.:)
I'm not saying anything bad about Mimaki or any other LFP company; they obviously make printers that work or they wouldn't be in business. There are more options out there that might suit others better. The older models or tech have been out there and being sold for years, worked great but based on technoligy that is now years old; things evolve. The Hawk is newer tech and so the numbers of installs are less. It has newer innovations, advanced features, free 24/7/365 tech support for the life of the printer, $0.9 a sq/ft, no auto-flushing, ecologically sound, 2.6 pc/lt (2400dpi Nano head) and much more; just a good option.

Last edited:

wrkalot

Sounds like you would be fine with a single head machine, cjv150. Skip the orange and go with dual cmyk.

The owner likes to go big or go home... I am not going to argue :) Do you think that the orange isn't need at all, regardless of the printer?

We have two of the CJV-300s. They are good machines. We have the bulk ink system, and I would retire that for cartridges gladly. Other than that, no complaints.

We decided against the bulk system. Figured we could add it later. Is it a PITA to maintain?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Do you think that the orange isn't need at all, regardless of the printer?

When it comes to signs and stickers, CMYK does the trick 99% of the time. The orange widens the gamut a little bit but in my opinion, most people can't even tell the difference! To get the full benefit of the orange you would want to make a custom profile as well and even then it really doesn't matter in the sign world that much. On top of that, the orange fades much quicker than the other colors.

rvolkers

we have a cjv30/130-it is a work horse and more - we do it and 50 inch rolls work for us. we did not change the rip software - we find it very easy to run and it has never been a problem for us - if set up correct a cutting blade can last up to 3 years compared to our Graphtec that we get about 1 year out of! - we use the 8 ink set up - and have NEVER - EVER used the white so that money goes right out the door - but we do use the metallic and the printer does a great job - KEEP IT CLEAN and UP DATED and it will last for a long time!

StratoJet

Merchant Member
When it comes to signs and stickers, CMYK does the trick 99% of the time. The orange widens the gamut a little bit but in my opinion, most people can't even tell the difference! To get the full benefit of the orange you would want to make a custom profile as well and even then it really doesn't matter in the sign world that much. On top of that, the orange fades much quicker than the other colors.
I agree, ~twice the production speed is going to make you more money than adding Orange

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I agree, I guess that's why I'm here and want to change that.:)
I'm not saying anything bad about Mimaki or any other LFP company; they obviously make printers that work or they wouldn't be in business. There are more options out there that might suit others better. The older models or tech have been out there and being sold for years, worked great but based on technoligy that is now years old; things evolve. The Hawk is newer tech and so the numbers of installs are less. It has newer innovations, advanced features, free 24/7/365 tech support for the life of the printer, $0.9 a sq/ft, no auto-flushing, ecologically sound, 2.6 pc/lt (2400dpi Nano head) and much more; just a good option.

Yeah it's not really the tech I would be afraid of but the ink I'm far from sure how good it can be.

Sounds like its not widely used and proven so in best case it will work on some materials okay and worst case...

But I'm not in the market for one so no need to prove it to me. Just kind of hilarious to market it with basically saying it's better than everything else. I don't think so.

StratoJet

Merchant Member
Yeah it's not really the tech I would be afraid of but the ink I'm far from sure how good it can be.

Sounds like its not widely used and proven so in best case it will work on some materials okay and worst case...

But I'm not in the market for one so no need to prove it to me. Just kind of hilarious to market it with basically saying it's better than everything else. I don't think so.
No problem, to each their own. Not trying to sell anyone but inform that there is another option avaliable. We have beed selling our Synthetic Inks globaly for years and this is new to the US market. I never said it was better than everything else but since you said so, I agree. :D

TomK

No problem, to each their own. Not trying to sell anyone but inform that there is another option avaliable. We have beed selling our Synthetic Inks globaly for years and this is new to the US market. I never said it was better than everything else but since you said so, I agree. :D

Price? Also how are you field servicing units when the need arises?

C5 Service&Repair

Great machine. Very fast when used with RasterLink, which is well above average. Dual CMYK is the way to go, orange does give slightly brighter oranges, but the speed of the dual CMYK far out weighs the gains in gamut.
The SS21 ink does stink pretty good, and the ES3 doesn't work as well on all medias, so send your supplier a sample of the vinyl you want to use and ask to have samples printed.

balstestrat

Problem Solver

Question is what is the Synthetic Ink? Who makes it? Who designed it? I'm not in the US and I have no idea what ink it could be.
Until recently I feel like every other competitive ink (not solvent or UV) than HP's latex has been a failure.
Ricoh 1st gen was a failure. Is it better today? I don't know. Mimakis latex was a pile of crap.
Epson is finally coming up with their solution but is yet to see how well it works.

StratoJet

Merchant Member
Question is what is the Synthetic Ink? Who makes it? Who designed it? I'm not in the US and I have no idea what ink it could be.
Until recently I feel like every other competitive ink (not solvent or UV) than HP's latex has been a failure.
Ricoh 1st gen was a failure. Is it better today? I don't know. Mimakis latex was a pile of crap.
Epson is finally coming up with their solution but is yet to see how well it works.
I agree and know what you mean. I was involved with the transition from ColorSpan to HP (acquisition) and saw the early days of latex. It was ugly, the inks ran down the media until tons of solvents were added (latex is not latex). ‘Gun shy’ can’t begin to explain the market since all the main ink manufacturers build according to LFP specs rather then durability specs. We have never used the “big three” ink manufacturers but have a great relationship with a European company that is focused on pigments and archivability rather then volume. We have worked on developing these ink for years and have 100’s of printers installed globally using them. The whole reason these inks were developed was to supply a solution to countries that banned new solvent printers (eco-solvent, solvent...). Kinda, the same goes for our Sola UV inks, there are not from the big three.

Last edited:

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I agree and know what you mean. I was involved with the transition from ColorSpan to HP (acquisition) and saw the early days of latex. It was ugly, the inks ran down the media until tons of solvents were added (latex is not latex). ‘Gun shy’ can’t begin to explain the market since all the main ink manufacturers build according to LFP specs rather then durability specs. We have never used the “big three” ink manufacturers but have a great relationship with a European company that is focused on pigments and archivability rather then volume. We have worked on developing these ink for years and have 100’s of printers installed globally using them. The whole reason these inks were developed was to supply a solution to countries that banned new solvent printers (eco, latex, solvent...). Kinda, the same goes for our Sola UV inks, there are not from the big three.
What countries have latex banned today?