• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking at a used FB950

Hello guys,

Been using roland for the past 5 years, switched to latex last year and i don't ever want to look at solvent ever again. :rock-n-roll:

I have a local shop looking to sell a used FB950, I have never owned a flat bed printer and I am looking to expand.

Does anyone own this machine? Can you give me a some pointers?

Pros? Cons?

I got a really good deal, machine is operating fine just trying to get some reviews.

WinGraphics

Premium Subscriber
I am on my second hp flatbed. All flatbeds are only as good as the technicians who service them and the operators skill level. Before purchasing make sure you get more than adequate training on how to operate and have a tech check out the machine. Flatbed service and repair is rather expensive, especially when your tech does not have years of experience with the hp's. I've watched many techs walk into my facility and spend half of their time on the phone asking hp what they should do. Frustrating and expensive experience.

facts about flatbeds.

They break a lot.
Takes a good tech to fix properly
Inexperienced operators can ruin a good machine in minutes.
The hp flatbed has up to 12 printing heads. each one costs about $2000

The FB950 is a solid machine. Check the heads and the electronic cables (the ones running to the print carriage thru the plastic chain) thoroughly before you buy. If you dont have access to a quality tech....don't buy the machine.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
Make sure that your business model can support buying a machine like that. In my opinion there are too many shops that want the flatbed because they feel like they can't do business without that technology and for the cool factor. Those machines are meant to do production work, not just one-off's and random jobs here and there. Maintenance and Repair costs are high and typically the more the printer is used, the better it runs over time. But if you have a solid business plan to add it into your workflow and can go out and drum up the business to keep it busy, then it could be a great addition to the company.

Robert Gruner

King,

Both Win and Blue nailed it.

Win noted < If you dont have access to a quality tech....don't buy the machine.>...room for thought

Quality tech might be a tad bit hard to find for this old printer; especially since some parts are discontinued.
If it prints good now, you have business in the que, and the price is right...you might take a flyer.

Good luck

boxerbay

FB950 is an old printer. We looked at an old FB950 from Tiger Direct when they were going out of business. They wanted $20K for a printer printing banded prints (head clogged) and the bed had about a 1/8" layer of built up crud (terrible maintenance). they were crazy. we walked away from it.

When buying used check all the maintenance points. if its dirty then most likely it hasn't been well taken care of. Do a nozzle print test. Spend a half day on site watching it run continuously.

You should try for at least an FB750.