• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

looking at an old cutter

Chris Lovelady

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]I am looking at this cutter to but to trim up decals for my silk screening...i gang print multiple images on one decal then trim them apart. i have been using printer to trim for me but want to bring this in house....they are asking 1000 shipped from Chicago to south Georgia...comes with 2 blades. one of the issues is that this thing is an antique and getting parts..hhmmm not sure were to get the blades sharpened either...i have done some home work on this and they run around 500-600 plus shipping i think it is a good deal. does any one here have one of these gems or know about them. it is totally manual and it is a 30" cutter and can cut a depth of 42". need some feed back. see i am fixin to gear up for silk screening for the trade and know i will need this.

Graphic1.jpg

Graphic2.jpg Offsite Pic Replaced Please Observe Our Photo Posting Rules

Lovelady
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig Sjoquist

Look in ...equipment auctions ... best bet lots of older stuff there that is still very usefull in todays world, also machine & sheet metal shops auctions plus afew others used these cutters I'd have one myself great tool very usefull.

1leonchen

thats a metal shear u have to be really abusive on the blade to wear it out. and a shear is heavy. for a thousand bucks u might as well go for it. u will probably retire before u can finish that cutter.

Vinylman

thats a metal shear u have to be really abusive on the blade to wear it out. and a shear is heavy. for a thousand bucks u might as well go for it. u will probably retire before u can finish that cutter.

1leonchen: You are WRONG! That is a early paper cutter. I owned one almost exactly like that for 20 years while running my printing company.

The cutter you are showing is known as a "Peerless Gem" Manufactured since 1905, by the Peerless Printing Press Company of Palmyra, NY.
The sale of these pre OSHA cutters has been banned since around 1975. Due to non compliance with current OSHA safety standards.

Chris:

If you take your time and look around, I think you could make a much better purchase {less money}.
The unit you show will NOT PASS OSHA safety inspections The seller can not sell you this cutter without violating OSHA safety regulations. Especially shipping it to another state.

If you buy this, or any other cutter, and allow anyone else to operate this type of cutter you are opening yourself up to many OSHA regulation violations.

The electronic safety switches that are MANDATED on paper cutters {and other type machines} are almost overwhelming.

Using this type cutter in a commercial enterprise is asking for problems, either now, or in the future.

Chris Lovelady

letterman,

yes i know it is a paper cutter and know the OSHA regulations on this. i would be the only one using and would be using it out of the veiw of public....but it I did not know it was illegal to ship. i heard alot of these peices have made it south to mexico and such and they are hard to find, is this true? i know of one local but it can only cut 23" wich is to small for me. i have hunted for one like this and this is the first i have run up on...do you have any leads on others?

FatCat

letterman,

yes i know it is a paper cutter and know the OSHA regulations on this. i would be the only one using and would be using it out of the veiw of public....but it I did not know it was illegal to ship. i heard alot of these peices have made it south to mexico and such and they are hard to find, is this true? i know of one local but it can only cut 23" wich is to small for me. i have hunted for one like this and this is the first i have run up on...do you have any leads on others?

Chris, lots of these older cutters have gone overseas/out of country because of the safety issues. However all legalities aside, I know of several local small shops that still use machines like this one.

Parts will be difficult to find, though rest easy they don't make 'em like this anymore. They are overbuilt which is why they still are in use today. You should be able to find someone to sharpen blades in your area. We have a guy that stops by our print shop once a month and takes dull blades and brings them back after he sharpens them. Should be someone in your area that offers that service. If you can't find someone I would call a print shop and ask who sharpens their blades.

If you still want to look for something newer, just google used printing equipment and there should be lots of brokers and other sites available. Though a more modern cutter with safety controls and digital cutting adjustment is going to be closer to $10k+.

Good luck to you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine that has a screen printing shop nearby has one of these and he makes short work of cutting stacks of 100's at a time... anything. I believe his is 36". When we need several thousands of something cut... he gets it done in no time for us. However, like others have said.... it is a well guarded secret he has one, let alone still uses it.

Pat Whatley

Chris, shoot me an email with your contact information. I know where there is one of those here in Montgomery that may still be available cheap. It's in an old house/office and they couldn't move it out because the floors won't support it anymore (the floors were reinforced underneath when the machine was put in 40 years ago)

The house is being torn down soon and a little creative demolition work will probably make it accessible.

Somebody may already have dibs on it, send me your info and I'll let you know tomorrow.

signs@knology.net

Chris Lovelady

Pat,

sent an e-mail...
safety issues aside i will be the only one to use it and i can keep secrets...i think these are great pieces and true do make quick work of cutting.

Lovelady

Pat,
got a bounce back on your e-mail drop me a line and i will reply
chris@vitalsignsllc.com

Last edited:

Rooster

The offset world has been hit hard lately. Lots of auctions for really good gear.

If you think that old battle tank will save you time, wait until you try and computerized cutter. It makes all the positional changes automatically between cuts. You just shove the paper in, cut, turn to the left, cut, turn to the left, cut, etc.

Look around harder, there's far better deals to be had out there.

PGSigns

I know of a complete closed down print shop in PA with alot of the equipment still there from presses to cutters. I'll ask if they still have the big cutter if you are interested.
Jimmy