• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking at buying VJ 1604

redmondcopy

Hello all,

Looking at possibly buying a used Mutoh 1604 that I can get for around $5500 or my other option is a HP9000 for around $1200. Not sure if either were shut down properly. They are coming from a repo company. Just wondering on the mutoh what I might be looking at to get it up and running? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Grant

heyskull

I would go for the Mutoh but I'm biased as that is what I have.
If it has been off for a long period you will probably need to clean the pump, change the dampers, clean all the pipework and maybe change the head if you can't get it clean.
These printers work better if they are used a lot!
So if they have been unused for a while they don't take to kindly to it.
Mind you all printers don't like been unused.

SC

FatCat

Buying things like solvent printers from a repo company is always a gamble. Typically, they just go in and take them and their repo guys only know what they're supposed to pick up - so there is little chance they were shut down correctly. Figure at least on a new head $1700.00, new maintenance station, $500.00, all new lines and fittings and PRAY there is nothing else wrong with the machine. Plus, unless you know what you are doing you're going to need the assistance of a tech to get all that replaced and running correctly. So as long as you buy it knowing you'll have another $2500-$3500 to get it up and running you should be OK.

*Also, you didn't mention if the machine came with a RIP or not. Figure on another $1000-$2500 for decent RIP software.

Robert M

Mutoh

Go with the Mutoh. If HP/Seiko needs all new heads and caps you will be looking at around 9k in parts

Stealth Ryder

Buying things like solvent printers from a repo company is always a gamble. Typically, they just go in and take them and their repo guys only know what they're supposed to pick up - so there is little chance they were shut down correctly. Figure at least on a new head $1700.00, new maintenance station, $500.00, all new lines and fittings and PRAY there is nothing else wrong with the machine. Plus, unless you know what you are doing you're going to need the assistance of a tech to get all that replaced and running correctly. So as long as you buy it knowing you'll have another $2500-$3500 to get it up and running you should be OK.

*Also, you didn't mention if the machine came with a RIP or not. Figure on another $1000-$2500 for decent RIP software.

:goodpost: Agreed.........

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It would be hard to do, but see if you can get some conditions that if it doesn't work for a agreed upon amount of extra out-a-pocket cost, you could return it for a full refund within a reasonable amount of time.

Whenever you buy anything used.... you're always taking a chance. That's why its priced so low..... you are expected to take a chance and be prepared to fix whatever is wrong with it.

If this thing came with a guarantee, the price would be much higher. You get what you pay for.

Anything for a high cost that I've bought second hand I've always witnessed it or had someone who knew what they were doing make sure the product was in good condition before buying.