• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking at Latex as a new addition to our machine lineup, so I came here w/ questions

RoCo

I've run many different types of printers, from an Encad at the beginning, to solvent Arizona 180 and pigment Roland in the middle, to our present day dyesub setup along with a Scitex FB6100 UV. As our client list evolves, we're looking into supplementing the hybrid FB6100 with a more dedicated, hi-resolution roll-to-roll machine. I recall a previous knock against the latex machines was the high temps associated with printing (buckling media and energy costs). Now that they're past the first generation of printers, how do you guys like them? Is the performance and reliability there? Usability issues? Pros vs Cons?

I know the HP rep will tell me it's the greatest printer to ever print a print, but I know better than to listen to what the sales folks have to say. Thanks for any input!

MikePro

take anything you've come to know about maintaining/profiling/running your printer, and throw it out the window.
the new HP latex printers do it all for you.

nothing but good things to say. scratch resistance of inks is about the same as solvent, but you can literally go straight from print to lamination to application. printer feels slow at first, because it takes a solid 5min to warmup prior to printing every time BUT it prints pretty fast once it gets movin'.

Hicalibersigns

We absolutely love ours! Simple quick maintenance and the machine tells you what it needs. Print quality is excellent. NO complaints.

ProColorGraphics

I love both of mine! The only reason I think my electric bill is up is because I run these easily twice as much as I did my Roland. Plus, my gas bill is very cheap during the winter! Oddly as it sounds, I didn't notice much difference in bills during the summer with the AC running. Go figure.

bigben

I love my latex printer. As for the rise of my electricity bill, it only went up 20$/month on average. I use less heat in the winter, but use more AC in the summer because of the heat it's create.

Typestries

We run a small fleet of HP latex machines. I have too run everything from encads to arizonas and beyond. By far the most refined print technology to date. Go ahead and buy one, if you hate it, give us a call I'll buy it :)

danno

We have 2 latex at our shop. LX800 and L26500. We also have 2 HP9000s. One of the 9000's needs a print head. We will be replacing it when it comes in. While the latex has it's +'s, I doubt we will be purchasing another any time soon. I've been looking at the H2 and M series Seiko machines. Saw a M series at SGIA in Orlando, and really did like it. Will be recommending it to the boss when it gets released in the USA next year.

Brands Imaging

I'd like to put a bump in this thread.
I'm sure there are plenty of other searches on here so I'l revive this one.

So, contrary to the above I have actually heard that there were plenty of small issues with the printer, just being fickle and testy with the printing but
once it got moving it worked very well. I'm curious if the 300 series is really ahead of the curve.

My issue specifically isn't if this printer is any good in general but if it's a good fit for my business.
We are a medium sized wrap shop doing about 5-6 wraps per week. We are constantly playing catch up
with our production and always moving fast. I'd say we're not the MOST organized in the world or we're just constantly
slammed and trying to put out a ton of work.

We currently have a JV33 and we work that thing to death. We put a new print head in a few years ago but it's not gonna last much
longer. I know it will be good to keep around for banners and whatnot.

My issue is....being as though we are so fast paced is a latex machine right for me? Should I upgrade to a seiko? Buy 2 latex machines?
Thanks for your help!!

FrankW

I'm curious if the 300 series is really ahead of the curve.

Be shure it is.

I'm in the business (LFP-Support) since 17 years, but the way the new latex do color management is second to none. Using profiles which are compatible and synchronizable with every RIP who have a driver for that machines is a "sensation" (as a product manager of a RIP-Software Company told me). Doing simple relinearisations (310 and 330) and ICC-Profiling (360) with a few fingertips directly in the machine without the need for software is faszinating.

Scratch resistance: I have sold a Latex 330 a few weeks ago. After installing the printer and being ready for instruction, the customer said "by the way, the scratch resistance of the prints you showed during the demonstration, we don't believe that, we will do own tests". Another guy asks what we have used to seal the prints (because no lamination can be seen) when trying to scratch. During another demonstration last week, while explaining the printer to one of the persons visiting, an other guy from the company doing scratch tests repeatedly over more than 2 hours ... alcohol doesn't damage the print either.

If you know older latex models, you should know that the printer heats up from room temperature to 100°C in a little bit more than 1 minute.

I have started to work with latex 2 1/2 years ago, coming from roland and mutoh, and was sceptical. And there were some issues with the older machines. The new ones are really second to none.

toodark

HP Latex

I just received a call for anothe sign shop today and he is looking at selling his HP. I would love to buy it but I do not have the room. So if you are looking for a used/new machine (he has VERY few hrs on it) let me know and I can put you in touch with him. I love my latex!

Just bought an HP 310 last week. Came with an issue where the ink lines were leaking due to a manufacturing problem. Tech came out and fixed it. Currently it is running great. Prints really fast and the canned profiles that come with it look great. I don't even think I need t make my own profiles for it

There is an online library of profiles from most of the major media suppliers -- so you hit a button - sync it with your RIP and your printing great color. I'm loving it so far... heats up to working temp in about a minute and a half. Printed (6) 4' x 8' banners last night. Printed them at 300 dpi and 10 passes just to see how fast it was. Was spitting a banner out about every 13 minutes.... not sure what you guys think about that for speed...but my previous printer was a mutoh falcon and it would take an hour and a half to print the same thing...so I am very happy with that.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Just bought an HP 310 last week. Came with an issue where the ink lines were leaking due to a manufacturing problem. Tech came out and fixed it. Currently it is running great. Prints really fast and the canned profiles that come with it look great. I don't even think I need t make my own profiles for it

There is an online library of profiles from most of the major media suppliers -- so you hit a button - sync it with your RIP and your printing great color. I'm loving it so far... heats up to working temp in about a minute and a half. Printed (6) 4' x 8' banners last night. Printed them at 300 dpi and 10 passes just to see how fast it was. Was spitting a banner out about every 13 minutes.... not sure what you guys think about that for speed...but my previous printer was a mutoh falcon and it would take an hour and a half to print the same thing...so I am very happy with that.

If that's the true print speed that knocks 3 hours of printing off the L26500 on a full roll... that's awesome!

yup-- that is the true speed I was getting. First banner was 14.5 minutes from the time I pushed print because the printer had to warm up....but the rest of the banners were 13 minutes a piece...

Christian @ 2CT Media

My L26500 averages 2.81 minutes per linear foot on on 54" banner at those settings.... you are averaging 1.625, thats a 42% print speed increase! Very close to the 50% they are promising.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
HP Latex - 0-10 scale

Print quality - 10.
Maintenance - 9
Startup and set up - 1
Loading Material - 3

Such a drag to get it started and warmed up. Swapping materials is a pain in the arse. GROUP as much as you can of each material when you print. Switching from banner to vinyl to paper to....wears you out!

My L26500 averages 2.81 minutes per linear foot on on 54" banner at those settings.... you are averaging 1.625, thats a 42% print speed increase! Very close to the 50% they are promising.

The speeds for the HP Latex machine that Stephenedwardgraphic is quoting are from the 310 model (54 inch wide). The Latex 360 is significantly higher throughput machine (neighborhood of ~2x) than either the 330 or 310 machines. The 300 series is also much (like 6 orders of magnitude) faster in terms of warm-up time than the 200 series.

Christian @ 2CT Media

The speeds for the HP Latex machine that Stephenedwardgraphic is quoting are from the 310 model (54 inch wide). The Latex 360 is significantly higher throughput machine (neighborhood of ~2x) than either the 330 or 310 machines. The 300 series is also much (like 6 orders of magnitude) faster in terms of warm-up time than the 200 series.

So the 360 prints under a minute per foot In 600dpi 10 pass BiDi?

The spec sheet says 151 sq ft/hr which is 50% faster then the L26500 @ 98 sq ft/hr