• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking at new equipment...

daenterpri

So... I'm kinda looking into getting into a larger, ink based setup. I'm a poor man, I don't have much monies, and we just had a baby... so I'm not in high-risk mode. However, I run across jobs that I'm limited on with my small thermal equipment as far as detailed graphics, and at the moment I have a customer that wants me to do a wrap on his company vehicle. I'm pretty sure I could snag some more jobs, and even fairly steady jobs if I had some kind of larger printing equipment.

Anyways, my local supplier was raving about the new HP L25500 Latex printer, and said that I should totally go with that. I work out of my home at the moment, so I do like the idea of not going with the traditional solvent based printers. From what I gather, 54" printer, plotter, and laminator would probably run me around $36k. I realize that $36k probably isn't too shabby.

However, I am curious about your opinions:
  • Is the new latex technology the way to go?
  • Is the HP L25500 a good machine?
  • Would I be better off to try and snag someone's used equipment like I did with my Gerber? ( I saved a ton of money)
  • What is your opinion on the Roland VersaCAMM 4-Color printer/cutter combo: http://www.uscutter.com/Roland-VersaCAMM-SPi-Series-4-color-PrinterCutter-_p_570.html
  • Is a printer/cutter combo the way I should go for being a little lower production shop?

Thanks for your suggestions :)

Big House Signs

I can tell you, when I was looking I wanted to go with a print and cut too...seemed easier and I was very intimidated. But I am so glad I got separate machines. Not everything you print will you cut...so while you are cutting something you can already be printing another job. Plus most things you are going to laminate which means you'd have to take it out of the printer anyway before you cut. I do love when all the machines are running at the same time. cha ching. Good luck!

PromoGuyTy

So... I'm kinda looking into getting into a larger, ink based setup. I'm a poor man, I don't have much monies, and we just had a baby... so I'm not in high-risk mode. However, I run across jobs that I'm limited on with my small thermal equipment as far as detailed graphics, and at the moment I have a customer that wants me to do a wrap on his company vehicle. I'm pretty sure I could snag some more jobs, and even fairly steady jobs if I had some kind of larger printing equipment.

Anyways, my local supplier was raving about the new HP L25500 Latex printer, and said that I should totally go with that. I work out of my home at the moment, so I do like the idea of not going with the traditional solvent based printers. From what I gather, 54" printer, plotter, and laminator would probably run me around $36k. I realize that $36k probably isn't too shabby.

However, I am curious about your opinions:
  • Is the new latex technology the way to go?
  • Is the HP L25500 a good machine?
  • Would I be better off to try and snag someone's used equipment like I did with my Gerber? ( I saved a ton of money)
  • What is your opinion on the Roland VersaCAMM 4-Color printer/cutter combo: http://www.uscutter.com/Roland-VersaCAMM-SPi-Series-4-color-PrinterCutter-_p_570.html
  • Is a printer/cutter combo the way I should go for being a little lower production shop?
Thanks for your suggestions :)

If you are mechanically inclined, not scared by downtime, have the cash, and don't mind a little risk to save some $, buy used.

If you don't want to tinker on stuff, want as little downtime as possible, want to protect your current cash flow, buy or lease new.

I've bought lots of new equipment...and lots of used...in retrospect, my best decisions have been the new equipment...

Tim Aucoin

Save your money and outsource.

Agreed... especially if your on a tight budget and don't have enough work to keep the L25500 going each and every day. Outsource until you build the business to the point where you can EASILY purchase the equipment you're looking at.

As far as the L25500 goes, it is an excellent printer and I would highly recommend it. I'm working on trading my older Roland SP540V for a 54" cutter to compliment the L25500. I just don't run the Roland any longer since becoming very good at running the HP! Currently I laminate smaller, short run jobs by hand using a Big Squeegee, but then again, I don't need to laminate a lot of the work I do... that is just my market. If that changes, I will look at a laminator, but until then, I outsource any larger laminating jobs.

Mike F

Don't know about the latex printer, but we've got a Roland VersaCAMM VS-640, awesome machine. As far as whether a print/cut machine is better than having 2 separate machines, couldn't tell you. I'm comfortable only having a print/cut machine, but I can see how having them separate could have it's advantages.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you have a little one around the house and you buy a solvent or mild solvent printer.... you should be shot. I'm sure even latex printers would be frowned upon by most standards for those young lungs. No upstanding distributor will [should] let you put those things in a house, unless you were single.

Outsource until you have enough business to actually justify moving into a separate building and then start thinking about printers and laminators.

wes70

If you have a little one around the house and you buy a solvent or mild solvent printer.... you should be shot. I'm sure even latex printers would be frowned upon by most standards for those young lungs. No upstanding distributor will [should] let you put those things in a house, unless you were single.

Outsource until you have enough business to actually justify moving into a separate building and then start thinking about printers and laminators.

:thumb:

WrapperX

For being a "poor man with out much monies" 36K would be a high risk move so if you aren't in "high risk mode" then don't do it. There are plenty of people here on this site that would be more then happy to be your outsourced print supplier. Work out of your home until you have built up a steady customer base and can afford a seperate location. Once in that location work there for a while and if you are still increasing sales, business and profits and you are in a position for a high risk move then I would certainly advise going with a printer like the HP. Currently it is a nice machine. The ability to work with the prints same day is very convinient compared to the solvents which need 12-24 hours of dry/outgassing time.