• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for a drywall solution other than PhotoTex

TheSnowman

I have a convenience store that I need to wrap a wall that's a header around the whole store. It's roughly 80' X 3'. I had ordered in PhotoTex High Tack, because my sales rep said this is the only thing they've never had any issues with in the past when it comes to sticking to drywall. I did a test print and showed it to the customer and they said that they wanted something glossy. I agree, it's pretty dull and doesn't have a lot of pop to it, but I guess my main concern was sticking to the header.

I talked to a sub of mine and they said they've had some issues with regular vinyl, depending on the paint used. This store is about 45 minutes away, and I don't want to have to wonder if I'm going to get a call back from them or not.

I had a suggestion to me to use Oracal 3165RA. Just looking for some tips on this cause I've gotta get it figured out. Any advice?

Or if anyone has some amazing PhotoTex profile for a JV33 running Triangle Inks on Onyx, and wants to share it, that could possibly fix this too, but I doubt it.

CanuckSigns

I think Walter Jr. from Phototex hinted that you can laminate his stuff with a very thin laminate, like the 1.3 mil wrap laminte from Avery. Give him a call and find out.

Do they want the print to remove cleanly after they are done with it? if not, I would go with a normal vinyl like IJ40 or 3651, but if they need it to remove cleanly, it's gotta be phototex!

DaVinci15

Morning Bump.

Good morning,

Not the first time I've run into this issue with adhesives and paints. For longevity combating with low VOC paints as well as obtaining that gloss finish you're looking for, I'd recommend using a vinyl with a very high tack adhesive. I have a couple in my arsenal - it is only manufactured in matte white or clear gloss, however. So I'd recommend throwing a gloss laminate on it to give you that finish you're looking for.

Give me a call when you get a chance and I'll help you out.
(860)265-3388

Best regards!
Ryan

ayukish

Phototex is a fabric wall graphic and most fabric wall graphic materials are more Matte. I recommend a vinyl wall graphic material to get the Gloss you're looking for! Try Mojave 6 Mil Flexible Wall Graphic.

Asuma01

I wouldn't even bother with vinyl on painted sheet rock walls anymore. What a **** show with the new low/no voc paints.
Not worth it. Ever.

TheSnowman

The last company that did it did it a year ago in another store. They're now out of business, and she said it's starting to lift on the corners. I'm glad to do whatever she wants, I just can't guarantee it if I do that. I emailed PhotoTex. Hopefully they have a laminate solution of some kind...but I'm not expecting it.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I have a few very unique materials that are glossy if your interested, they are expensive but very cool.

knucklehead

When you get the 'gloss' material applied, and they look at it everyday under the lights, I bet they're gonna wish they'd gone with the non-reflective phototex. Been there.

ICDenver

Other ideas

I run IJ180 for most of my drywall apps, with Arlon 3220 Matte lam. For really tough adhesion situations Arlon 8000 or Mactac Roughwrap are both really aggresive and stick to just about anything.