• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for a Laptop

zmatalucci

Any suggestions? I've always been a dell guy, but have started looking at the hp's. It will be used for book keeping, and some web surfing. Nothing in design. So what do you think?

ahollow

Dell Inspiron 1525 is a nice machine. I've purchased/configured 4 for customers in the last 2 months. They love them , and most were coming off Windows 98 to Vista. Talk about a change!

trakers

I'd go with Dell rather than HP.

I just helped a fellow businessman who purchased a new HP laptop. We are talking a tricked out machine with 17" screen and 8Gb of RAM running Vista.

It looks nice , but this thing is a P-I-G, PIG. What a POS. Slower than an 8-year itch and as unstable George Bush.

He bought this thing for business and Quickbooks randomly crashes as well as his browser and other business related programs.

I had him return it to Best Buy and he is getting a machine where we can put XP on it and be done with it. He will then have a fast, stable machine for the next 3 or 4 years.

No matter where you get it I would highly recommend to be sure it has XP installed or to least be certain you can upgrade it from Vista to XP.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i have a compaq (same as hp) notebook....and love it....one great thing about hp, is their customer support.....live online chat to help with any problems....when i found i wasn't able to burn off recovery disks, hp sent me recovery dvds....

edit: and i am running vista on a laptop and a desktop....and have NO problems....as long as it's up to date (and i'd spend the extra $35 on the laptop and the one that already has the crap software wiped off it and is all up to date with the updates)...

animenick65

I'd go with Dell rather than HP.

I just helped a fellow businessman who purchased a new HP laptop. We are talking a tricked out machine with 17" screen and 8Gb of RAM running Vista.

It looks nice , but this thing is a P-I-G, PIG. What a POS. Slower than an 8-year itch and as unstable George Bush.

He bought this thing for business and Quickbooks randomly crashes as well as his browser and other business related programs.

I had him return it to Best Buy and he is getting a machine where we can put XP on it and be done with it. He will then have a fast, stable machine for the next 3 or 4 years.

No matter where you get it I would highly recommend to be sure it has XP installed or to least be certain you can upgrade it from Vista to XP.

Why couldn't you install XP on the Vista book?

tanneji

I'm a dell guy too. I bought my last couple of computers through the Dell outlet. I bought one just to see if it was worth it and have been sold ever since. You can get twice the computer for half the price. Most of them are refurb after being used on corporate lease or whatnot.

outlet.dell.com

great deals to be found there

Joel

RJ California

I bought a Toshiba notebook at Costco a few months ago (Mother's Day gift for my wife). I also got her one of those wireless internet anywhere USB things from Verizon. She loves it. It's mostly used for internet and email. We've already taken it on a few trips and the internet even works while we're driving.

The only reason I bought the Toshiba was for the small size and it's light weight (she wanted something that she could carry around easily) --- and the fact that I could get it at Costco. You can't beat Costco's return policy.

peavey123

Hey all. Not meaning to be a thread pirate but I'm looking at getting one of the new macbooks for christmas. Wondering if any of y'all have one or used one and how it performs for big honkin' sign graphics. A comparison between PC laptop performance would be nice also....should I just start a new thread? lol

cgsigns_jamie

I guess I'll be the first to recommend and Apple laptop.

I love my 15" MacBook Pro. This is my 4th PowerBook/MacBook and they are absolutely great laptops. I've had Dells and IBM's as well and keep coming back to Mac.

The best feature about the new ones with Intel processors is you can run Windows natively via boot camp or with software like fusion or parallels. That way if you don't like the Mac operating system (which it would be extremely hard not to like one of the best operating systems around) you can just slap a copy of Windows on it and have access to all your Windows applications.

Kottwitz-Graphics

outlet.dell.com

great deals to be found there

Joel

Great site. I have been thinking about getting a 17" Dell for a while now. I found just the one I want for less than $900.

That sucks! Does Dell still offer XP under the table? I've heard that they do, but can't advertise it... I'm looking into getting a new laptop, but i'm sure as hell not getting Vista.

I'm like you, I hate the idea of having to go to Vista. There is a laptop repair shop not too far from me that took my sons Acer laptop with vista and took it back to XP. It runs a whole lot faster now.

P

ProWraps™

own two dell 1525's with core 2 duo's in em. love em. i upgraded from my 1501's. 1525 has a much better chasis. dell is great for lappys. avoid their desktops (you can build them for 1/4'th the price)

GB2

Old Member
For desktops, I'm running only Dell Optiplex models now, which have been rock solid. For laptops, I'm presently specing out a Dell Latitude D series, which is available with Windows XP factory installed with the option to upgrade to Vista in the future if wanted. They have a new E Series Latitude Laptop, which has not been getting good reviews, apparently there are a few bugs that need to be worked out. The D Series however, has been an industry standard. These are all corporate version models that in my experience, perform significantly better than regular models.

SignsOfMaine

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Acer. I work on one at home and use one of their laptops on the road. They work great, and they don't preload them with too much crap like you expect from dell and hp. They have a nice screen and never any battery or overheating issues like you'll find with a lot of others (HP). I was able to get XP on mine at the time (when vista was out) but I think you'll want to call and ask if that's still an option.

Right now there aren't a whole ton of different acers listed on newegg, but check out the reviews:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?bop=And&Submit=SubCatDeals&N=50001146 40000032

All of the offered models have a 5 out of 5 star rating.
Full disclosure - newegg's rating system is based on the median review rather than the average I think, so I'm not saying there isn't a single person who gave it less than 5 stars =) Also, my laptop has one small annoyance, resting your thumb near the mouse button will sometimes cause it to think you're clicking when you're not. However I've been very happy to use an external usb mouse whenever possible anyway.

ndemond

Zeth, I just read where wally world is going to have an electronics sale on Sunday morning. Toshiba-2gb 398.00 for a bookkeeping and web surfing laptop might just work for you.

Nancy

slappy

I also got a Dell Latitude D830 with windows xp... just at $2000 with all the upgrades i added, it spins circles around my vaio. If your interseted in it, i just got a christmas coupon at the shop to save $350 on one. I'm not going to get another one so i have no interest in it, but can mail you the coupon for you to use

ericmitchell29

You may want to confirm this but... I think xp only recognizes 4gigs of ram?

If you have an 8gig using vista and go to xp... only 4 will be recognized.
This is what I have been told.

Eric

wrapman jamz

In our house we have a few...
2 HP's - love em (Pre vista)
2 Dell's -love it.
An E-Machines Desktop - works fine
Compac desktop - Excellent
1 GATEWAY - almost 24/7 gamer the kids use
2 Mac G5's
1 Intel Duo I-Mac I use for work
And a Panasonic mini laptop for field use

I'd say with PC, it's the software (Vista) that messes things up. I use XP on all PC's
Not one service issue yet (knock on wood)

The Macs are flawless, except for an overheating issue on the I-Mac