• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for a Laptop

SignBurst PCs

You may want to confirm this but... I think xp only recognizes 4gigs of ram?

If you have an 8gig using vista and go to xp... only 4 will be recognized.
This is what I have been told.

Eric

XP 32 Bit can only use 4GB (same as Vista 32 Bit)

XP 64 Bit can use as much as the motherboard (and bios) can handle (same as Vista 64 Bit)

trakers

"Why couldn't you install XP on the Vista book?"

Would have except there are no XP drivers for the sound. So he would have a brand new machine with no sound.

"If you have an 8gig using vista and go to xp... only 4 will be recognized."

Yes. XP 32-bit and Vista 32-bit will both show a maximum of around 3.5Gb no matter how much memory you put in.

If you need (well want really, no normal human needs 8Gb at this juncture IMO) anything above that you have to go Vista 64bit and that my friends is a nightmare in waiting.

The best advice is to get XP now, wait until mid 2009 and then upgrade to Windows 7. Skipping Vista altogether is the way to go.

Windows 7 will be what Vista should have been when it was released. I liken it to Windows Me and Windows XP. Windows Me is (well was until Vista was released) the worst OS every released and XP is arguably the best. The way it is looking Vista and Windows 7 will follow that same path.

As an update to my prior post, the fella I was talking about returned the Vista 64 machine and received his new machine with XP. It is many times faster than the Vista machine (which had 2x the memory) and all his applications are now running solid as a rock.

GB2

Old Member
Well, despite the fact that I thought I was going to go with a D Series Dell Lattitude, I opted for a new E 6500 Dell Lattitude (Thanks Steph for the push and the coupon!). I'm not very informed on laptop technology and had a hard time trying to decide on some of the options, especially the screen type, which seems to be a common point of confusion. I wish I had asked more about it before I ordered it. I'm getting a 15.4" WXGA+ 1440x900, I'll let you know how it is when I get it!

If anyone is a Costco member, I noticed they have some great deals on Dell Laptops and probably some other brands too.