• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for a new LCD monitor - suggestions?

Browner

Hey,

My old CRT is taking up waayy too much space on my desk (and creating a LOT of heat)... so I figure it's time to "upgrade". I figure I'll go with a 22" LCD.

I've been trying to look at customer reviews, but they're mostly "gamer" or "movie watcher" related... I did some searching around here (sign101) and came up with some vague answers from past posts, but nothing specific.

I think I've narrowed it down to Samsung vs LG... but which particular model has me a little befuddled (I haven't been able to figure out Samsung's model number system).

What monitors are YOU using? Would you buy it again? Is there something you wished you had bought instead? What features should I absolutely look for?

Thanks!

Chris

Letterbox Mike

I'm quite happy with my Dell 3005W, the actual display is made by Samsung, colors are fairly close to output on our printer so it's as accurate as I could expect it to be. Every computer here except one has dell flatscreens, never a problem, price always seems good and you can usually get good coupon discounts if you look online. Would I buy it again? yes, without hesitation. Bigger is better.

speedmedia

I have a 22" Samsung LCD widescreen and I love it. Not sure on the model number as I am not by it but it sure is a nice monitor, i'd buy another one if I needed it.

Thanks,
Kurt Dietrich
Speed Media

Replicator

I just got a pair of HP w1907 Monitors for a dual setup . . .

They have the nicest quality screen display i've seen in years !

juan45215

Check to make sure your video card will support the wide screen. If not you may have figure in the cost of a new video card.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We've had a 20" Samsung for a while now and love it. We just ordered a new replacement for one of our CRTs and went with the 22" Samsung shown HERE. Reading the reviews we decided that having the adjustable height was an important feature and like the fact that this model has built in speakers as well.

ChiknNutz

I've bought two in the last year or so and both are good. Both are 22" widescreens. First one is a Viewsonic Q22WB and the last one I got is an Acer AL2216WDB and both have been fine. These are being used on two different systems. The Viewsonic was no longer available from Newegg when I got this last one and that's essentially why they're different.

Conor Knoxx

I'm a big fan of Samsung Monitors, when you want quality - though there's several good choices around.

I don't like Dell for the same reasons I won't shop at Wallmart :glasses: big guys tryin' to wipe out all the small companies... The biggest/most common "rant" I read on these forums are about taking "quality" over price - yet so many of us will flock to Wally-world to save 20 cents... anyway.. off topic, lol..

But look at features that might benefit you personally. Built in speakers, vertical sliders, the option to rotate your monitor (portrait instead of landscape view - very cool if you have a use for it) are worth considering.

Yes, make sure your video card supports the features - however sometimes its hard to tell, until you plug the sucker in! Most cards less than 3 years old support most features though.

Some less obvious features - refresh rates and brightness likely aren't big deals, since most of what you look at is pretty "static" (not gaming/movies/etc) - optimum viewing angles can varry a lot - which means how far from perfectly perpendicular to your monitor, you still get a perfect image. A non-issue with CRT's - very annoying with some LCD's...
Colour accuracy should be important - but hard to compare - read reviews for your best info there - you can also get some software to compensate - but again, in this business - "what you see is what you get" can be pretty important! Seeing orange on your screen, and getting red on your prints will never be "gotten used to"..

Then there's "max resolution" most monitors will be the same for their respective sizes.... but shop around, you'll see some have much better. This can give you a MUCH sharper image and clarity for small, fine lines, etc. - and one the single most important features for me. Mine is a 20inch that does 1200 x 1600 - not very common at all, and cost a fair bit more than most I was looking at, at the time.

Standard format vs wide format?
Personal preference really. Wide does allow you room to put all those tool bars at the sides, and still have a nice size/format workspace... but they also make the monitor "sound" bigger than it is... a 20inch wide doesn't seem nearly as big as a 20inch "standard" to me... because the height is about the same as a 17inch standard :p

Lastly, don't accept "factory settings"
Tweak it for your space / your eyes / etc.
I use a neat little free calibration program http://www.hex2bit.com/ which seems to work well.

Happy shopping!
Conor

pacmn

we just upgraded our 17" LCD with a 25.5" Samsung , colors are beautiful and non hurting to eyes we got it at newegg.com

2693hm

Attachments

• IMG_1756.jpg
    IMG_1756.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 79

SignBurst PCs

I am a big fan of Samsung.

Did you know that there are only a handful of companies who actually manufacture LCD displays? Then, they get re-branded by everyone else.

Samsung is one of the leading manufacturers in LCD displays. Dell does sell some re-branded Samsung, but they are not all Samsungs, so check into which Dell model you are buying (if you are inclined to buy a Dell).

I believe that the Apple Cinema models are Samsungs as well.

I personally LOVE the 245BW.

245 = 24"
BW = a specific set of features.

It is a reasonably priced 24", good quality, display. You can usually pick up locally at your favorite electronics store.

Capital Signs

Once again, I own 3 of those Samsung 245BW, I am waiting on my fourth :) Cuadruple monitor display will get reallllllyyyyyy Nice!!!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I ordered a Samsung 2220WM from Newegg that arrived yesterday. Beautiful display although (common to Samsungs) too bright at default settings. This particular model has built in speakers which seemed like a good idea but sound horrible ... so I just left my existing speakers hooked up. Still very pleased with the monitor.

Just now I decided to order another monitor for my personal workstation which currently has a 20" CRT on it. I ordered the Acer P243WA 24" unit which has a coupon on it good until 7-7-08 for an extra $30 off plus free shipping. That makes the delivered price of $359.99 about $100 less than the 24" Samsung I was going to buy. The coupon code for anyone interested is EMCAHABAE.