• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for a one color fading gradient graphic

threeputt

....but my search to find one is hindered by not knowing what to call it.

Basically is a black shape that through a series of ever increasing size dots, becomes the background color.

So it basically fades from black to white. Hope that's clear.

I can locate the clipart or whatever, if I know what this darn technique is called.

Anyone?

threeputt

Yeah, sort of halftone but not continous halftone, with a steady repeating look. Want a dot pattern to fade completely out.

10sacer

Gradient

This?

Attachments

• halftone_gradient.jpg
    halftone_gradient.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 72

threeputt

Yes, very similar to that. Is the sort of thing that's available as clip art?

Maybe with varying degrees or concentrations of dots?

I've seen fairly wild versions of this kind of thing and like the look. It would work well for a project I'm trying to put together now.

Where might a person see something like this?

10sacer

Google Images + Halftone gradient. Once you see what you want - just make it in Illustrator then you can blow it up big as Mars if you need

Custom_Grafx

There is a way to do this which I have used a few times in illustrator by using transform and reflect/copy. This keeps it live and by only moving one object or resizing it, you can rescale/reconfigure it without needing to redo it every time.

There is also another way in Ai, someone on here posted not too long ago, you just make a gradient normally, then in the effect menu, you apply halftone, and it does that to the gradient. To change dot frequency/size, you play with the settings in effects, or you reconfigure the gradient slider. When you have what you like, do a live trace, and you have a vector...

Here you go, I found it... post #9 is a great way.

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83583

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you had a few more seconds and wanted something with a few more options you could:
Do a blend of a lg dot to a small one
Expand and combine it into a single shape
Save it as a brush stroke
You'd end up with a vector halftone that would follow paths, scale, change color etc....

wayne k
guam usa

ForgeInc

in photoshop:

create grayscale gradient from black to white. convert to bitmap> halftone pattern...experiment with resolution and dot size/frequency to get effect you want.

If needed, you can auto trace to get it vector but if you make it sharp enough to start with there really isn't any need unless you are cutting it vinyl.

Once it's saved as a halftone bitmap when you place in illustrator you can make it any color you want.

JoshLoring

ForgeInc said:
in photoshop:

create grayscale gradient from black to white. convert to bitmap> halftone pattern...experiment with resolution and dot size/frequency to get effect you want.

If needed, you can auto trace to get it vector but if you make it sharp enough to start with there really isn't any need unless you are cutting it vinyl.

Once it's saved as a halftone bitmap when you place in illustrator you can make it any color you want.

Forge beat me to it. I went to bed early lol

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think I'd still prefer a vector half tone.
More control and you don't have to think about output resolution when you build it.
Dots could be anything diamonds, stars cubes, crosses, cubes etc..
I guess it would depend on where you do most of your designing - vector or raster.

wayne k
guam usa

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Anyone figured out if there is an easy way to do this in flexi or corel? I don't have ILL or PS on this computer.

In corel:
Set your halftone pattern up by making a vertical blend of a large dot down to a small dot - break the blend and then weld it into a single object.
Open the Artistic media docker
Select your object save it as a "object sprayer" when the save window opens.
It's now a custom sprayer object and can be used just like the defaults that come with draw.

Draw your lines with the artistic media tool (I) or select an path already in the layout and apply the halftone sprayer object.
Use the media controls to adjust the spacing, scale & rotation to what looks good.

In Flexi:
1.No clue
2. Don't design in Flexi.
3. Don't want to design in Flexi.

wayne k
guam usa

Cyw

Threeputt, have you tried Rasterbator?
It's a very nifty option for generating clean, crisp vector halftone dots
It will convert large format and letter sized output, black & white as well as full color

A free macro download that saves the results to PDF
We use it at lot for creating vector halftones on the fly

One or two times thru the options and you'll get the hang of it.
It really is a cool little program