• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for a portable printer

vrinsk

Hey guys, I'm looking for a portable printer that can print adhesive and heat transfer material. The specs for the vinyls I use recommend solvent, eco solvent, UV, and latex for the adhesives and the heat transfer can be sublimation, solvent, eco solvent, and laser. My main concern is the adhesive roll material, it's the one I use more often, and the reason I need it to be portable is because I don't have a lot of space and would like to carry it with me and the heat press when I need to move it, I don't have my own shop space so I need to be able to pack everything in the truck on weekends. I was looking mostly at Mimaki and Roland but they're out of my budget if purchased new, I have considered converting an Epson or Canon design printer to eco-sol, So anything below 5 thousand dollars and something between 15-24 inches that can print stickers will do. It doesn't have to be new, just something I can make work, my local sign shop is no longer an option for print jobs so I'm doing cut vinyl jobs in the mean time, I have a Roland GX-24.I sent some sample adhesive material to GraphicsOne to test with a 24 inch sepiax printer they had and they told me it didn't work, they never sent me a picture or anything and I tried to contact them further but didn't get much of an answer. Any recommendation is welcome. Thanks.

UnlimitedBT

Converting Canon / Epson?

Really? is there such thing as converting Canon ImagePrograph or Epson Stylus from Dye to Eco-solvent?
I can't say that I am proficient in wide-format segment of a printing industry but I am a Laser Printer tech and a printshop owner, so far I never heard that there is something could be done that you can just poor a eco-solvent inks in to Epson / Canon, most of these some with pre/post heaters while epson/canon don't have it as dye inks do require drying assistance... Am I being wrong?
Also, I think you will really have a hard time finding a Eco/Solvent printer small/narrow enough that it can be carried around...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm surprised no consideration is being given to a used Gerber Edge. I've seen used Edge 2 systems going for less than $6K including plotter, software and supplies. All that's needed is a fitted piece of foam rubber to protect the print head during transportation.

particleman

Before you buy the BN-20 make SURE the speed of it will work for you. I'm honestly not sure how you can make much money with that machine, it is REALLY slow. The edge on the other hand can crank out a lot of decals. Combine it with the tractor feed Envision plotter and you can cut a huge runs accurately.

vrinsk

Really? is there such thing as converting Canon ImagePrograph or Epson Stylus from Dye to Eco-solvent?
I can't say that I am proficient in wide-format segment of a printing industry but I am a Laser Printer tech and a printshop owner, so far I never heard that there is something could be done that you can just poor a eco-solvent inks in to Epson / Canon, most of these some with pre/post heaters while epson/canon don't have it as dye inks do require drying assistance... Am I being wrong?
Also, I think you will really have a hard time finding a Eco/Solvent printer small/narrow enough that it can be carried around...

You're right, I've seen the Sepiax converted ones and Eco Sol but require adding all the heaters and whatnot, I once did a conversion with a small Epson for bulk pigment inks but I know it's not the same, I'm not shy to experimentation, the problem is really the investment. I have nothing to play around with, looking for an absolute solution to my problem. I have looked at the Gerber and Roland printers and they're pretty much what I need if only I could find one for less than 5 grand it would be great. That's why it doesn't have to be extremely portable. I don't work alone so if 2 people can carry it out the door and up/down a flight a stairs, it's fine. We keep in shape so we do some heavy lifting frequently.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
With those assets and qualifications, did you ever consider getting into the furniture moving business ??

vrinsk

Before you buy the BN-20 make SURE the speed of it will work for you. I'm honestly not sure how you can make much money with that machine, it is REALLY slow. The edge on the other hand can crank out a lot of decals. Combine it with the tractor feed Envision plotter and you can cut a huge runs accurately.

Speed is not an issue, I've looked at the Summa printers and those are pretty slow but extremely bulky and heavy. My focus is getting quality prints. My background is in photography and for me, getting crisp images at high resolution are a must. Grainy images make me cringe. A single blurry line with sputters is an eye sore, this is why I stopped outsourcing locally. I have also considered outsourcing elsewhere but right now I'm focusing on getting the right equipment for my needs. We do different kinds of design work and leave the big stuff (signs, vehicle wraps, etc) for the other guys.

vrinsk

There are sepiax converted Epson printers on the market... but they aren't super reliable.

Here is an example of one: http://www.cutterpros.com/Vinyl-Pri...-Eco-Max-Ecomax-Outdoor-Printer-Sepiax-24.htm

That's the same printer I had tested, I contacted GraphicsOne, sent them 3 yards of General Formulations MotoMark printable media, and they said it didn't turn out well. Never saw evidence of this, kept asking and didn't get very far so I let it go, they told me they weren't making any more of those printers and were focusing on a 36 inch model.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nah, a friend of mine has property down there. He's from Cuaguas, originally. His brother still lives there. Also, a few friends up here, now live down there permanently. They're all from Puerto Rico originally and have moved back down to get away from the riff-raff up here.

We've come down for the Salsa Congress down there a few times over the years. Ever go to one ??

Tim Aucoin

Agree with Edge AND BN-20. I have both here. The Edge produces stellar decals very fast. The BN-20 is strictly for heat transfer material. Doesn't run too often, but when it does, speed is definitely not an issue. Makes for some very nice looking shirts!! It's also my way of keeping a little EcoSol around the shop!! :Big Laugh

Biker Scout

My background is in photography and for me, getting crisp images at high resolution are a must. Grainy images make me cringe. A single blurry line with sputters is an eye sore, this is why I stopped outsourcing locally.

Just get your own Durst Lambda or Lightjet Printer.