Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.


  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a sheet metal shear.

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by TheSnowman, Jul 23, 2012.

  1. TheSnowman

    TheSnowman Major Contributor

    Aug 28, 2007
    I recently was in a friends shop that does a lot of custom fabricating, and I used his shear to cut down some small stuff that I needed. After using it, I'm basically in love with it, and wondering where I can buy one that I can cut my 4X8 sheets down on.

    It's so much less "dramatic" than a saw blade, and quiet, and quick, and the cut is PERFECT every time. Can't even tell it's been cut from a sheet. When I use my saw (and I realize probably the blade has a little to do with this) it's just not as nice of edges as this when it's done.

    In reality, one that's old would be perfect because it's basically a piece of equipment that's so simple, it lasts forever, and wouldn't break. Anyone bought these from anywhere? I've seen some in a google search, and found ONE on craigslist, but didn't know where else to start if there was a resource I was missing.
  2. Fred Weiss

    Fred Weiss Merchant Member

    Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    I bought a 52" shear about 10 years ago from Harbor Freight Tools for less than $1,000 delivered and set in place. It weighed around 1,200 pounds. Never had a problem with it and it became one of the most used tools in our shop.
  3. Billct2

    Billct2 Major Contributor

    Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Your best bet is a used 8' jump shear. Problem is finding one close enough to avoid major shipping charges.
  4. jayhawksigns

    jayhawksigns Very Active Member

    Jan 8, 2005
    We got our metal shear and brake from Grizzly. Been doing us good for years.

Share This Page