• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for a sheet metal shear.

TheSnowman

I recently was in a friends shop that does a lot of custom fabricating, and I used his shear to cut down some small stuff that I needed. After using it, I'm basically in love with it, and wondering where I can buy one that I can cut my 4X8 sheets down on.

It's so much less "dramatic" than a saw blade, and quiet, and quick, and the cut is PERFECT every time. Can't even tell it's been cut from a sheet. When I use my saw (and I realize probably the blade has a little to do with this) it's just not as nice of edges as this when it's done.

In reality, one that's old would be perfect because it's basically a piece of equipment that's so simple, it lasts forever, and wouldn't break. Anyone bought these from anywhere? I've seen some in a google search, and found ONE on craigslist, but didn't know where else to start if there was a resource I was missing.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I bought a 52" shear about 10 years ago from Harbor Freight Tools for less than $1,000 delivered and set in place. It weighed around 1,200 pounds. Never had a problem with it and it became one of the most used tools in our shop.

Billct2

Your best bet is a used 8' jump shear. Problem is finding one close enough to avoid major shipping charges.