• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for a Synonym

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm looking for a synonym for "graphic arts" as used in describing the various arts, crafts and professions from sign making to printing to design etc. and not coming up with much.

Wadda ya got?

genericname

Commercial Arts

Older term, but I think it's more appropriate, and lends a bit more of a business feel to the field, without making people think "oh, you do computer graphics?!"

genericname

A domain name for a forum for graphics arts professionals.

Commercial Arts may appeal to the portion of the industry that's more hands on, like sign fabricators, or those involved in the light side of engineering arts, but I can guarantee you it will put off a decent portion of graphic designers. Using anything near "art", to describe what a graphic designer does, is generally a good way to get on their bad side.

I prefer it, as its more honest of a term, and must less esoteric, but it's pretty divisive.

artbot

creativemarketing.com?

mediamessage.com?

promessage.com?

marketingpro.com?

printpro.com?

creativemedia.com?

visualpro.com?

digitalmedia.com?

printqueue.com?

hit-print.com?

need to get back to work...

Malkin

Visual Marketing
Print Marketing

Most of these just end up sounding like buzz words strung together...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
FWIW, the synonyms is what I'm really after because domain names can incorporate lots of variations. As far as who might feel left out or offended by any given name ... that is of high interest. The name should be both as descriptive and inclusive as possible as well as short and reasonably easy to both spell and remember.

For example, graphicartsnetwork.com is available and so is gapronet.com. I'm leaning towards the latter due to both the shorter length and the potential confusion over how to spell graphic, graphics, graphix, grafix. It is easy enough to present the full name from which the abbreviation is derived on the home page.