• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for a thick/semi-rigid calendered vinyl, recommendations?

Doyle

We print some promotional signs weekly for one of our clients that are mounted to foamcore (short-term use, approx 1 week). I don't like working with foamcore generally, it is too fragile and I usually try to steer customers in a different direction and use sintra 3mm or 6mm if possible. This particular order MUST be foamcore and it needs a full color graphic mounted to one side of the material 30" x 40". We have been printing our graphics on Orajet 3640 matte and mounting to the material by running it through our laminator (material is not laminated, though). We print on a Roland VP-540i solvent printer and the media we have been using is very thin/stretchy/difficult to work with once it is printed. We could solve this problem by laminating the prints, but the budget does not allow for this at this point in time.

The material would be much easier to mount to the foamcore if it weren't so thin, so I am looking for suggestions on a thick, semi-rigid sovent media (adhesive backed) with a matte finish that we may be able to try instead of the orajet 3640. I am also open to other suggestions. My employees are having a lot of trouble with this particular order every time it comes in and we have a contract to print these items for the entire year. Thank you in advance for any input!

Proveer Calgary

If you like oracal, you could try the 3164 which is 4mm as your 3640 is 3mm. Also comes in matte too. I'm a supplier, not a printer so perhaps others could chime in here..

Bigdawg

Just Me
If the budget would allow - I'd jump to 3165. I've never been fond of the 3640 at all. But we run unlaminated 3165 regularly through the laminator.

I have started buying the RA though.. because we do a lot of coro and the laminator isn't always free. Sooooo easy to put down by hand...

CP Signs

+1 for the RA. Also, for thin stuff, we sometimes slit the backing in the center, run half, then reverse the laminator for the other half. Easier to handle half the material.

Doyle

+1 for the RA. Also, for thin stuff, we sometimes slit the backing in the center, run half, then reverse the laminator for the other half. Easier to handle half the material.

That sounds like a great idea, thank you! And thanks for the replies, I am going to try slitting the backing while we look for another material.

CanuckSigns

What about applying application tape to the leading edge of the print? We do this with unlaminated 3mil vinyl quite often, it works great!

run a 8 inch strip of app tape along the whole leading edge, flip the print over and fold back the backer paper, make a nice sharp crease. Flip the print back over and lign up the print as you normally do, stick down the leading edge, the app tape makes sure it doesn't stretch.

hope this helps

Doyle

What about applying application tape to the leading edge of the print? We do this with unlaminated 3mil vinyl quite often, it works great!

run a 8 inch strip of app tape along the whole leading edge, flip the print over and fold back the backer paper, make a nice sharp crease. Flip the print back over and lign up the print as you normally do, stick down the leading edge, the app tape makes sure it doesn't stretch.

hope this helps

This is what we currently do, it does work well but my employee was having a very difficult time with these pieces today so I decided I would look into a different print media. Thanks!

I just got a roll of the 8 mil Solvex 11345 from Fellers because I needed something rigid to work with on a project. This stuff is 8 mil thick and really easy to work with. It prints nice too.

2B

what is causing the stretching? we use a fair of the 3641 for the temp signs are not getting any stretching.

Why are you using the laminator for application? a Big Squeeze can be done as fast if not faster than the laminator.