• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for a thicker eco-sol printable, removable vinyl

Tatonka

I'm looking for a removable material that's eco-sol printable, similar to like 3M ij180mc-UR, but it needs to be way more rigid. I've got a job where I need to print full color graphics, cut a honeycomb type pattern out of it, and apply to a part. The standard vinyls I've got are way too flimsy to do that without the honeycomb lines twisting and stretching and generally making a mess.

What can I use that's more rigid?

Tatonka

Could you print, plot, weed, and then laminate the plotted material either onto a clear to act as a carrier, or laminate a piece of clear over it to act as a premask. Or then again, have you tried just masking it?
Of course, this won't work if you are wrapping something like a motorcycle tank... What's the pattern being applied to?
It's got to go around buttons and and switches and junk, so the holes have to be completely open. And the client has to apply them, not me, or I'd go a totally different route.

TimToad

We use the GF 6mil Semi-rigid with removable adhesive for bumper stickers and shorter term decals. It generally doesn't leave any adhesive when you peel it off.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I'm looking for a removable material that's eco-sol printable, similar to like 3M ij180mc-UR, but it needs to be way more rigid. I've got a job where I need to print full color graphics, cut a honeycomb type pattern out of it, and apply to a part. The standard vinyls I've got are way too flimsy to do that without the honeycomb lines twisting and stretching and generally making a mess.

What can I use that's more rigid?

My RMV6 is a 6 Mil Removable RIGID vinyl if you are interested. 54"x150' is $250

Tatonka

Ouch. Perhaps a second or third layer of laminate?
Or I use this stuff for clear business cards, claritex. It's 10 mils thick, and plots very well. The only down side is there is no adhesive. For that you could just laminate 3m 467mp onto the back side before plotting and feel empowered by making your own vinyl!

Extra laminating is something I'm trying to avoid. I experimented with laminating some SV480 to 1080, and it works, but isn't worth the time and labor.

chartle

Is it flat or more 3d curves also how big? How about Oracal 3551 RA with 215 lam it pretty stiff. I just printed some. As for how well it comes off not sure. When we are done with our vehicles they are junked. :)

Tatonka

Is it flat or more 3d curves also how big? How about Oracal 3551 RA with 215 lam it pretty stiff. I just printed some. As for how well it comes off not sure. When we are done with our vehicles they are junked. :)

that looks like it has potential. It's a pretty flat surface.

fresh

I second the General Formulations 223 (or 222, one is removable, the other has perm adhesive). Its an awesome product, prints nicely, and is very easy to apply.

chartle

Here is the scrap after weeding of 3551 RA from something I'm working on now you can see it keeps its shape.
3551.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisN

Or I use this stuff for clear business cards, claritex. It's 10 mils thick, and plots very well. The only down side is there is no adhesive. For that you could just laminate 3m 467mp onto the back side before plotting and feel empowered by making your own vinyl!

Claritex is polycarbonate, so you wouldn't get the conformability of vinyl, but that may not be an issue. You can get polycarbonate laminate (http://www.rtape.com/product-lines/eclypse-overlaminates), so you could just laminate whatever vinyl you want with it and get instant rigid removable "vinyl".