• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Looking for a........................................

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
I'm guessing you a sewer and this happened at home? I've done the same thing with my sewing mat LOL

I ruined a huge studio mat right after I left school during a print residency. I was never very popular there afterwards.
However I do sew so I took that lesson right home with me :)

karst41

Cutting matts are a bad joke. Period

I use 0.50" 5'x10' High Healing HDPE from my plastics suppliers.
It is my table top. 4 rotations each side $360 and last for years.

Dont get the Matte finish, transfer tape does not stick to it very well.
Gloss finish is the way to go.

You can get .5" x 4'x 10' sheets any day of the week but the 5' or 60" is
preferred especially for 54 or 60 digital print media.

Calsak or Piedmont plastics stock this.

spectrum maine

Self-healing mat.

I know there's different kinds out there and was never really interested in them, but I need to look into one or two presently. Are there various kinds, thicknesses, long vs. short term, sizes ?? Oh, and who's selling them ?? I asked two of my vendors and they don't handle them.

:thankyou: Gino
i use old lexan faces. they are easy on the knives, last forever and free

• Agree
Reactions: Baz

MachServTech

I F****** hate self-healing mats. (too many crappy cuts) Rhino would be a good choice but I have found a good supply of thick tempered glass and will never go back.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Healing mats have a life span and have the same issue of "grooves" changing the blade direction.
for the cost spent on mats, it is more effective to use PVC for us

we get a 60" x 120" 12mm delivered for $150.00.
$75.00 per side, typically get 1.5 + years per side

You get grooves in self healing matts when your employees are heavy handed, rarely change their blades or use box cutters. My first shop we flipped them once in 8 years. Use x-acto knives and fresh blades to weed cut and mask. The way you hold an x-acto knife is more precise and you typically use less pressure. The way you hold and olfa or box cutter, in you whole hand, means it's easier to just bare down when it gets dull, instead of changing or snapping the blade.

Never did like glass, actually can't stand it. Blades feel dull too quick.