• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for an alternative to vinyl stencils

GoodPeopleFlags

So, I have this project that I'm doing and I'm looking for a quick n easy way to spray paint text on to raw, painted wood, approx 4" x 15". This is an ongoing thing with about 20 - 30 designs, with multiple repeats over time. I've been cutting vinyl stencils and it works well but its time consuming, mostly when removing the transfer tape because the vinyl doesn't stick well to the wood. I thought about making reusable stencils out of styrene or something, but the fonts would have to be like a stencil font with the insides of the "O"s and other letters connected. Painting the spaces left by the stencil would be more trouble than its worth and not match the look of the rest of the spray painted text. Maybe screen printing? Maybe some kind of "stamp"? Anyone have any ideas? I really like the look of the raw wood and the spray painted text (kinda of a distressed look) so I don't want to change those things. Just pokin' around and see if there might be an easier alternative to vinyl stencils.

At a shop i worked at way back when, they did a lot of parking lot painting. They cut stencils on the gerber router. I think the material was called polypropylene. It almost looked like a cutting mat but the backside of it not the matte side you cut on. it was a little thinner, but cut well on a router. and was easy to clean. They would sell them to customers that wanted to re-use stencils and everyone like them.

GoodPeopleFlags

But those stencils will have the insides of the Os, Rs, Bs, Ds, etc., attached, not floating in the letter, right? Like the attached image. I don't want the text to be like that because I'll have to fill in the gaps and it won't match the paint of the rest of the text, plus it'll be a major pain.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 121

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How 'bout a pounce pattern and someone good with the brush just cut it in real quick ??

Other than a sticky bucked template, where you'll have to do a new one for each and everyone, there's no way to transfer a rigid template without connectors in those letters.

You could screen print them, but according to how raw this wood is, you might ruin screens...... and have quite a bit of seepage.

GoodPeopleFlags

Hmmm... maybe I could make a reuseable stencil but completely leave out the middles of the letters; like the O would just be a solid circle. Then just pop in the middles with vinyl.... Just brainstorming. It might be alot of trouble.

TammieH

I use .02 polystyrene, cut out on our old Graphtec,
mind you...
you need to set starting and ending position the same to make multiple cuts, then carefully snap/tear out the fonts

you can not do large stencils this way

klmiller611

Sorry to be a bit late on the response here, but as was suggested have them cut out of brass or galvinized metal, then you could have them solder the middle of the letters in with thin wire, this is how large industrial stencils were made many years ago.

Ken Miller

Billct2

If you like the distreesed look a stamp would work. I have a friend who makes small relica cannons and ships them in wooden boxes. He had a stamp made to put the logo on the boxes it looks pretty good.

all over it

If you have a cnc make a rigid mask, and a jig 2 place the unattached letter centres correctly, mabey with lightly applied ds tape depending on how much pressure your hitting them with. Jig could just be the male shape left by routing out the mask.

Mosh

Use rigid stencils cut on a CNC. Just use some thin wire and hot glue the centers of letters in place on the stencil.
If the wire mark shows after painting an easy touch up, thin enough wire and no touch up required.