• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for channel letter saw

biggmann

We are starting to do our own channel letters in house instead of contracting out. Since we are fairly new to this it is a lot of trial and error and in researching I found a couple videos when they marked out the bends and then used what looks to be a small Bosch saw to score the aluminium sheet to make it fold eaisly. what is this saw called, I cant find it anywhere.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Hand-made channel letters typically aren't scored to make them fold easily. They're usually marked (scribed) and then hand-bent using a channel letter brake for the straight bends or various diameters of pipe for curved bends.

You're likely only dealing with .040 or .063 so scoring them isn't needed.

The videos may have shown them notching the letters as SignManiac mentioned but even so, you wouldn't need a saw.

TwoNine

Do NOT saw them - it weakens the fold. I've built 10's of thousands of letters and the saw is hands down the WORST way to build them - I don't care what anyone says otherwise. Use regular bending methods up to .090". You may want to look into a used Arete notcher if you plan on making a lot of sets.

-Chad

TwoNine

And just so everyone knows - people sometimes want to saw the letter returns if they don't have a brake. It is a totally *** backwards way of doing things - a lot of hacks out there do it just like that. 2 years = broken aluminum. Too much expansion and contraction for that tiny piece to hold. (Once it's sawn the thickness is what??? .010? If that...) Your letter can only be as strong as it's weakest link....

-Chad

Mosh

WHY? We used to make our own and buying them is WAY CHEAPER!!!!
Unless that is all you are planning on doing, I have a shrinker and a spreader I used to do curves. Do you have a pan break, a letter break, a shear? How are you going to cut the faces and the backs...with a saw too???

TwoNine

why? We used to make our own and buying them is way cheaper!!!!
Unless that is all you are planning on doing, i have a shrinker and a spreader i used to do curves. Do you have a pan break, a letter break, a shear? How are you going to cut the faces and the backs...with a saw too???

+1,000

UFB Fabrication

In years gone by before CNC router and plotters Channel letters were done with a cut all (if I got the name right) or a jig saw. To cut the backs and faces. The returns were sheared from 10 ft sheets. The returns were bent using a brake and various roller for tools and by hand. Trimmed by tin snips. They were welded to the backs.

Fast forward 20-30 years cheap letters are made that the letter backs and faces cut on a CNC router. Bent using a CNC letter return bender and stapled or "clenched" using pre finished coil stock. Router 60-80 thou clencher 10-15 thou and a new accubend I think is around the 150 range. Plus a few various other medium big ticket items. Much less being a UL listed shop.

A bunch of folks have switched to this method and still cant compete with the big wholesale vendors. That pump out 100's at a time. If you have a great untapped market (highly unlikely) and have a spare 1/2 mill laying around do yourself a favor and by them from a wholesale shop mark them up and make some money.