• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for DSLR

Malkin

+2 for Canon glass. We have 1 "L" lens and it's amazing!

If you gave us an idea of what most of your photos are maybe there could be some recommendations of what kind of lens to start with.

An easy way to cover your bases on a budget would be to start with the 18-55 IS lens that comes with most Rebels and add the 55-250 IS that usually goes for about $250. Next addition might be the 50mm 1.8 lens for about $100.

WildWestDesigns

My mom has just about every canon on the market and each a set of lenses. I just have a G9, which is more then I need since I hardly do photography. Based on what she has commented on, I would say canon.

signswi

+2 for Canon glass. We have 1 "L" lens and it's amazing!

If you gave us an idea of what most of your photos are maybe there could be some recommendations of what kind of lens to start with.

An easy way to cover your bases on a budget would be to start with the 18-55 IS lens that comes with most Rebels and add the 55-250 IS that usually goes for about $250. Next addition might be the 50mm 1.8 lens for about $100.

Anyone with a Canon DSLR that hasn't bought the 50mm 1.8 is an idiot.* Best deal in photography.

*Exempt if you own the 1.4 or 1.2

Tim Aucoin

NIKON all the way, I started with a Nikon F in 1969 (see photo), and have all the different generation Nikon bodies to date. Started shooting digital in 1992 with one of the first Kodak DCS 200 (Nikon body and lenses), and now shooting with the Nikon D3, and although I have purchase newer auto focus lenses, I still have and can use my 1969 lenses on my latest Nikon D3 body.

Point being, I suggest getting a camera system that will grow with you and allow you to keep up with technology. Also, as it has been mentioned, the camera & lenses are only make for half of the photography, the person driving the camera needs to know how to control the camera and technology.

Nikon RAW and Photoshop CS5, such an awesome duo!

If I was just starting out in the DSLR world today, I would invest in the new Nikon D7000, whichfeatures a 16.2 MP DX-format CMOS sensor, 6 fps continuous shooting and breathtaking Full 1080p HD Movies with full time autofocus. You will never regret, or look back.

+ 1 for Nikon. I've been a Nikon shooter for years. I currently own the D300s and a D90 for back-up, and my wife owns a D90 also. I am a week away from owning the D7000 and am selling the D90 (which is a whopping 2 months old)! Yes... I'm a camera junkie. Don't ask about my lenses... you'll think I'm nuts!! :omg:

For some EXCELLENT Nikon/Canon stuff, check out KenRockwell.com

I'd sell you my D90, but being as I'm in Canada, you'll likely get a better offer somewhere down there!