• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for feedback on the Roland LEJ-640FT flatbed

Sticky Signs

Does anyone have one? How is it? Pro/cons?
I'm thinking this (or any other) flatbed might be a good addition to my shop.

El Barto

I have the non-FT LEJ-640, which is the hybrid-flatbed version. For what it's worth I wouldn't buy another one. It's definitely the case that the true flatbed FT would solve some of the problems I've had, but there are definitely issues with the print side of things, as well. In 18 months they've already replaced 3 heads that just petered out. Moreover, the cap tops have to be replaced surprisingly often. We've thrown plenty of whole sheets of aluminum composite in the dumpster because the ink just fades out halfway through the print, presumably due to the cap tops. All of this is because of the UV inks. White is the biggest problem. Roland's "Patent-pending Automated Ink Circulation System" is garbage. It circulates the ink from time to time, but never enough to keep the white carts healthy. If you don't print something with white every couple of days you're asking for [expensive] trouble.

One thing I will add to that is that the white (when working) is pretty good. We had our shipped with white and clear, and then had it converted over to dual white which solves a lot of problems. If you're going to get one and see yourself printing on dark substrates dual-white is the way to go. The clear is mostly worthless, and despite the fact that we never printed one thing utilizing it, we had to replace one clear cart per month that just went into the drain bottle.

Other things are that it's a rare enough machine that support is problematic. It will occasionally misread the media size by an amount so tiny you don't notice until it prints off center, trashing a sheet. You'll spend a great deal of time trying to figure out workarounds due to some peculiar design decisions on Roland's part. This is particularly true when combined with the quite crappy Roland Versaworks.

To its credit, when it works and when you can figure out how to make it do what you want it to it's a damn fine thing to have around. The print quality is fantastic, even some of the faster modes. Its color accuracy is the best of our Roland printers. The convenience of printing on hard substrates and walking them out to a substrate cutter can't be beat. With a couple of changes and improvements it'd be awesome. As it is now I think Roland just throws these things out there to try and cram them into a niche market and the execution isn't well thought out.

edit: Oh, and definitely call a couple of service techs and ask them about experiences they've had with them. I know the techs I deal with think even worse of the FT than they do of mine, and that's saying something.

fastmax

Does anyone have one? How is it? Pro/cons?
I'm thinking this (or any other) flatbed might be a good addition to my shop.

my shop got one, we retired our mimaki, as of now we are still learning how to use it, the flow is different than the mimaki, but having it run on versa works is nice, ill update this once i have some real feedback based on actual usage...maybe a month

ImpactSignCo

We have been running the LEJ-640FT since September, and it is a great addition to the shop. We also run an XR-640, and got the LEJ to take some of the pressure of running absolutely everything on the Sol-Jet. Once we got the hang of the LEJ, it's a fantastic machine in my opinion. We run enough white to keep the cartridges from going bad. We run a lot of full sheets of coroplast and PVC on it. It's not a speed machine by any stretch, but the extra time is worth it to allow both of our printers to operate simultaneously and we are able to get more out the door because of it. If you have any specific questions, I am more than happy to oblige.

klmjff

We have been running the LEJ-640FT since September, and it is a great addition to the shop. We also run an XR-640, and got the LEJ to take some of the pressure of running absolutely everything on the Sol-Jet. Once we got the hang of the LEJ, it's a fantastic machine in my opinion. We run enough white to keep the cartridges from going bad. We run a lot of full sheets of coroplast and PVC on it. It's not a speed machine by any stretch, but the extra time is worth it to allow both of our printers to operate simultaneously and we are able to get more out the door because of it. If you have any specific questions, I am more than happy to oblige.

You have had NO issues with banding?