• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Looking for Flame Retardant Non Tear Material to print on

Robby Hart

I know this title sounds whack so let me explain. I'm designing a permanent action movie set for a wax museum and have to supply street posters and flyers that look like real paper but kids cant tear them or light them on fire. I've tried looking into fire-resistant smooth banner and magic backlit film. Banner just doesn't look the part and magic backlit film doesn't obvisiouly come in opaque. Is there such a material out there that is fire-retardant and won't tear, eco-solvent and latex printers.

ChrisN

We use UltraFlex SuperSmooth PET blockout for our retractable banners, and it has a smooth matte finish. It's obviously thicker than paper would be, but it's smooth like paper.

Robby Hart

All different sizes vary from small stickers and flyers to 8.5x11 to 3'x4' full-size posters. I've looked in PET blockout that was my first go to but the client is being a stickler about it not looking like paper. He liked the look of the backlit display film but when we hold it up against the wall just because it barely showed thru he disapproved.

TimToad

Hey bud, we have a full roll of 54" and 3/4 of a full roll of 38" Ultrasmooth Blockout if you want some to see if it would be suitable.

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
All different sizes vary from small stickers and flyers to 8.5x11 to 3'x4' full-size posters. I've looked in PET blockout that was my first go to but the client is being a stickler about it not looking like paper. He liked the look of the backlit display film but when we hold it up against the wall just because it barely showed thru he disapproved.

You could always laminate the back with something that will block out the light. If thats really the look he wants maybe he wont mind paying extra for it.

mpn

I have some specialty synthetic stock we use for other non sign related jobs. It's excellent to print on and is hard to tear, but nothing bigger than 23x35.

I've printed on the clear glass adhere and left the white backer. It was a similar request like yours.

How about 020 styrene?

Andy D

Just a shot in the dark, but I know Tyvek is flame and tear resistant... but I have never printed to it,

TimToad

Just a shot in the dark, but I know Tyvek is flame and tear resistant... but I have never printed to it,

I suggested it too when he and I first talked about it, but its sounds like the texture of Tyvek isn't right for the application.