• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Looking for Flatbed Printer. SID Galaxy Apollo...Fuji Acuity...HP Scitex?

I am looking at a flatbed printer with CMYK + White so has anyone used a SID Galaxy Apollo UV LED flatbed (New $38,000)? Any comments? or would a Fuji Acuity or HP Scitex FB700 or Mimaki JFX200-2531
used flatbed printer be best? I print with a HP latex 310 flexible printer now but want to expand to rigid material. I would like a printer that can print bleeds on coroplast signs, acrylic, aluminum, etc. Right now, speed isn't an issue since we are building our rigid business but I would like your opinion on what flatbed printer has a fantastic quality print and can print bleeds and can print white on occasion. Also, a printer that doesn't need constant maintenance. I also have a limited budget ($23,000-$25,000) since I am thinking about retiring in 7 years. Is there a used flatbed that you can recommend?

Also, right now I farm out my rigid signs to different TRADE ONLY manufacturers but it seems customers can't wait 3-4 days and they need it tomorrow or this afternoon in some cases so I'm trying to accommodate faster turnarounds. For those who have added a flatbed printer, does it "generally" keep busy enough to pay for the flatbed and supplies, repairs, etc. Or are they hard to keep busy and they sit around not running? I know this is all dependent how how I need to hustle to find business but I'm asking for general experiences. Thank you for your time and wisdom...it's much appreciated!

kartdemon

The Fujifilm Acuity series of flatbeds are extremely good, and very robust. If you are looking for a used printer, some of the early models such as the Acuity 2504, 2545 or 2565 are no longer supported and should be avoided as you may struggle to get spare parts. The Acuity Advance Select models such as the HD4226 and HD5226 are current machines, and come in various configurations such as CMYK + white, CMYK + clear varnish, and combinations of both. The Acuity 15 is a current, entry level printer. Acuity printers are available in single or double bed format. A single will print 1 x 8ft x 4ft sheet. The double will print 2 sheets, or 1 x 10ft x 10ft sheet. A bolt-on "roll-to-roll" option is also available that fits on the back of the printer. If print speed is an issue, the higher spec machines are considerably faster, although using white or clear varnish will add print time. There is a bit of a learning curve for new users, but once you are up and running, you won't look back. Fuji offer different ink options, for example, if you are printing onto plastics that will be vacuum formed, they have an ink especially designed for that application.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most manufacturers have come a long way in all aspects of flatbeds, but if you only need white once in a while, it's still not a good idea. It should be activated almost every day.

As for keeping it busy, if you have a call for it 15 hours a week, you'll easily get it up to 30 or 40 hours a week in no time.

You also might wanna educate your customers that a 2 day turnaround isn't very realistic. Try going to the doctor for same day service or your auto mechanic without having to pay a premium for that kinda service.

Scott18

The Fujifilm Acuity series of flatbeds are extremely good, and very robust. If you are looking for a used printer, some of the early models such as the Acuity 2504, 2545 or 2565 are no longer supported and should be avoided as you may struggle to get spare parts. The Acuity Advance Select models such as the HD4226 and HD5226 are current machines, and come in various configurations such as CMYK + white, CMYK + clear varnish, and combinations of both. The Acuity 15 is a current, entry level printer. Acuity printers are available in single or double bed format. A single will print 1 x 8ft x 4ft sheet. The double will print 2 sheets, or 1 x 10ft x 10ft sheet. A bolt-on "roll-to-roll" option is also available that fits on the back of the printer. If print speed is an issue, the higher spec machines are considerably faster, although using white or clear varnish will add print time. There is a bit of a learning curve for new users, but once you are up and running, you won't look back. Fuji offer different ink options, for example, if you are printing onto plastics that will be vacuum formed, they have an ink especially designed for that application.
I print on a 4 year old Fuji Acuity flatbed every day. They are sturdy, robust machines so long as you take good care of them. Mine has white ink, and I use it every day. I would not recommend getting one with white ink if you aren't going to use it every day. The white ink heads are difficult to keep cleared if they are not used frequently. I rather doubt that you are going to be able to find a used one in your desired price range however.

kartdemon

You will struggle to find an Acuity flatbed printer without white these days. Even the entry level Acuity 15 has white. The older printers, that don't have white, like the Acuity 2504, are not supported, and are all so old now they will be very tired. Most second-hand Acuity's come onto the market for a reason - they're so old that they are starting to cost money in repairs. White isn't a problem provided you don't leave it unused for a period of time. If you print daily nozzle checks (which you should, anyway) and keep all the white nozzles clear, then give the white ink bag a weekly shake, and you won't have a problem.

Bly

We've got an Oce with double white ink.
We use white around once a week.
Just clear the nozzles, and shake the white bags daily and it's not a problem.