• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for help finding correct MDF board

greenonionzz

The boss has given me the task of finding a sacrificial MDF board that allows the vacuum table top suck through it , thus holding down material that is being routed.. We are setting up to route small acylic letters. Anybody know a supplier for such a material

Thanks in advance....

Brian

weaselboogie

I think you might be talking about the fiberboard type of MDF. I've asked for MDF and it seems like everytime I get something different. The heavy chunked stuff would be more like an underfloor board.

Attachments

• mdf_part.jpg
    mdf_part.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 119

greenonionzz

Thanks for replying..The way he described it was it is 1/4" panel 5' x 10' no holes and the air flowed through it no problem......He said every router manufacturer at the WSA show was using it on their tables......My curiosity is spiked!

Dzrt1st

We use 3/4" MDF and resurface it with a 1-1/2" cutter after the board gets too chewed up. You can resurface it several times before you have to replace it.

theskipman_98

I use 1/2" MDF light. when I have to replace out with new, i put it on the router table and "skin" both sides and cut to the size needed for my table. This is also the same material we use to make our molds for our vacuum formed faces. I think we get it from Horizon Forest products.

CES020

Just to add on those last two. Trupan is what we use. 3/4" thick(sold in metric so it's 18 or 19mm).

You MUST skim the surface on both sides. MUST!!!!!! Also, the thinner it gets the worse it holds. It'll hold best when it's full thickness.

ionsigns

Dear THE BOSS...when at a sign show...get specs! A a quality leader does not gloss over details and then give vague information to subordinates and expect them to do time wasting research when efficiency dictates that THE BOSS is part of the team and therefore accountable to acquire and disseminate details.

The team must be lean. The lean team starts at the top! A hard working detail oriented boss will deliver information that saves subordinate's labor thereby putting more profits in THE BOSS'S pocket...haha!

Typestries

Forget regular MDF (although it does work) Ultralight MDF it is. That stuff is the steez. My machine is 14 years old an we have yet to replace the PVC table thanks to the MDF! Plus you can cut a little past the media as needed. Beat it up, flip it over, repeat. Then resurface each side by .020 and its like new.
You need to surface off the factory faces for best results.
You can paint the edges for extra vac esp if you have a small vac motor
Scribe a few reference lines on the MDF and it will help square stuff up, esp if you cut panels printed on a flatbed
Get it at a cabinet/panel products supply house, its about $14 a sheet.