• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for HP Z6100 Input

I have a guy trying to sell me his 60" Z6100 machine in perfect condition because he simply doesn't use it. What do you think I should pay? Will it do vinyl, banners and wraps? Is the cost of running it expensive? Pretty much any info you guys could give me would be awesome. Thank You.

bosdub

We run 2 Z6100's in our shop. Not a machine you want to use for banners, vinyl or any outdoor stuff. Great machines for high quality photo prints and things like that.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Don't pay more then $2700 if its 60" it will do banner no problem but your banner cost will be about $0.75 a sq.ft compared to about $0.15 that solvent printers do. I have 2 mil cast vinyl with air release for this machine but the cost is higher then the solvent version.

Pretty much it's a great machine but not for banners or wraps. It's great for tradeshow graphics, fine art, POP, backlit signage. Inks cost are about $230 and heads are about $135 there are a lot of these units out there so service is reliable. How much is he selling it for?

Don't pay more then $2700 if its 60" it will do banner no problem but your banner cost will be about $0.75 a sq.ft compared to about $0.15 that solvent printers do. I have 2 mil cast vinyl with air release for this machine but the cost is higher then the solvent version.

Pretty much it's a great machine but not for banners or wraps. It's great for tradeshow graphics, fine art, POP, backlit signage. Inks cost are about $230 and heads are about $135 there are a lot of these units out there so service is reliable. How much is he selling it for?

Thank You for all the info. He asked me to look it up and see what its worth and if i wanted it. So it wont work well with anything outside? I figured it would need to be laminated to last outdoors. Why is the cost so high to run?

We run 2 Z6100's in our shop. Not a machine you want to use for banners, vinyl or any outdoor stuff. Great machines for high quality photo prints and things like that.

What do you typically run with yours if you don't do those things. I also have a Zund Flatbed plotter so I was planning on printing on Air Release vinyl then laminate and then cut with visual reg marks. So i shoudn't be using it for things like this? What would be ideal for doing wraps and printed vinyl graphics? I really don't want to get a solvent because of the dry time and the fumes.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Thank You for all the info. He asked me to look it up and see what its worth and if i wanted it. So it wont work well with anything outside? I figured it would need to be laminated to last outdoors. Why is the cost so high to run?

It will last 3 years outdoors with lam no problem, the cost is higher on some of the materials because they need an inkjet coating which is more costly then coating other materials for solvent. The actual cost to run it is fairly inexpensive and it's geared for a high end photo quality type output not banners. It's a good machine and really depends on your main applications.

If banners are short term you could use tear proof poly for about $0.15 sq.ft and fleet graphics you could just outsource.

It will last 3 years outdoors with lam no problem, the cost is higher on some of the materials because they need an inkjet coating which is more costly then coating other materials for solvent. The actual cost to run it is fairly inexpensive and it's geared for a high end photo quality type output not banners. It's a good machine and really depends on your main applications.

If banners are short term you could use tear proof poly for about $0.15 sq.ft and fleet graphics you could just outsource.

To be honest I'm mostly doing now small printed vinyl stickers But i would like to start doing wraps. I use my Summa DC4 printer/cutter for stickers/decals now but i would like to have more colors instead of using only spot colors to have it look good. Do you think they would be good for that kind of stuff along with some vehicle full color graphics and store fronts for now and then later on getting one for vehicle graphics.

bosdub

Just like Big Fish said...we use ours for tradeshow graphics, backlits, high quality posters. The quality is very good, and it is true that the prints will survive outdoors, but not a great machine for wraps.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
To be honest I'm mostly doing now small printed vinyl stickers But i would like to start doing wraps. I use my Summa DC4 printer/cutter for stickers/decals now but i would like to have more colors instead of using only spot colors to have it look good. Do you think they would be good for that kind of stuff along with some vehicle full color graphics and store fronts for now and then later on getting one for vehicle graphics.

I wouldn't buy this unit for those applications to be honest, yeah you could do it but its not the best way that's for sure. I would outsource until you had enough business to justify a solvent or latex machine.

I wouldn't buy this unit for those applications to be honest, yeah you could do it but its not the best way that's for sure. I would outsource until you had enough business to justify a solvent or latex machine.

Sounds like some good advise. Which would you get?
Mamaki JV400LX with White 64"
$25,500
or
HP 26500 Latex without White. 60"
$17,800

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Here is a group dedicated to latex http://hpl25500users.ning.com/ and from what I have heard is the Mimaki is not ready yet in my opinion with their latex machine. Great idea and all just needs to work out the bugs. I would go with the HP right now if it was my call. Latex is a great machine for wraps but lots of guys still have issues with the cheap banner material, lots of banner that runs fine also just gotta do a little research. I would also look at a Roland used machine might be a better solution for your applications.

Here is a group dedicated to latex http://hpl25500users.ning.com/ and from what I have heard is the Mimaki is not ready yet in my opinion with their latex machine. Great idea and all just needs to work out the bugs. I would go with the HP right now if it was my call. Latex is a great machine for wraps but lots of guys still have issues with the cheap banner material, lots of banner that runs fine also just gotta do a little research. I would also look at a Roland used machine might be a better solution for your applications.

Which Roland would you suggest? 54"-64" anywhere in that range.

knucklehead

Z6100 60 inch without heads on ebay right now for $1000.00. I emailed about what's the matter with it, got no repy.