• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for Mac software recommendations...

oneearthjc

I am new to sign making CE6000 to create templates for sandblasting on granite. I have a Mac computer and am looking for recommendations on software. I don't want to spend a ton of money, but realize that you get what you pay for. I'm looking for a good "bang-for-your-buck." Thanks!

ikarasu

Parallels + windows + illustrator. ;)

Any reason illustrator won't work? Illustrator + cutting master should be all you need to make your own stuff. Corel is another option if you.dont want to pay monthly. Depending what your doing, you could likelly buy a copy of Adobe cs6 for cheap.

WildWestDesigns

Parallels + windows + illustrator. ;)

Why? Ai has a Mac version (and Cutting Master as well). I'm no lover of Mac, but a huge fan of VMing, but unless there isn't a version of a given software for Mac, no reason to VM.

Now Corel software is another matter, unless want to try to see if WINE for Mac will run it without having to VM.

oneearthjc

I have Adobe Illustrator. I also have the Graphtec Studio software that came with it. Is that all I need? What is the advantage of the programs like SignCut?

WildWestDesigns

I have Adobe Illustrator. I also have the Graphtec Studio software that came with it. Is that all I need? What is the advantage of the programs like SignCut?

Right off the bat, more options for control is what I could figure. I've never felt the need for stand alone programs for running the cutter.

On my Roland, I can cut directly from Ai, same thing with Inkscape (and even Corel does as well), without any plugins. Plugins (depending on the plugin) add some more control. Stand alone programs are usually full of extra niceties. May or may not be needed, but that depends on your workflow.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
For cutting sandblasting mask AI plus the cutting plug-ins from Graphtech will do everything you need.
It is easy to learn and use.
No need for an additional cutting program.

wayne k
guam usa

ikarasu

Why? Ai has a Mac version (and Cutting Master as well). I'm no lover of Mac, but a huge fan of VMing, but unless there isn't a version of a given software for Mac, no reason to VM.

Now Corel software is another matter, unless want to try to see if WINE for Mac will run it without having to VM.

Was a Joke. I hate OSX, My wife uses a mac, and everytime she needs me to do something for her, I feel like pulling my hair out. I do think Apple computers are over priced, and way too un customizable for my liking (Have to pull off the glass and unscrew 20 screws and risk breaking all the very thin ribbon cables + cracking the screen to put an SSD in...) But they are built good. so while I hate macs, so long as windows or linux is running on it, I don't mind them too much.

ikarasu

Get cutting master, not graphtec studio. Then you create in Adobe illustrator... send to cutting master, and it'll cut whatever your vector is for you.

Youtube Cutting master, tons and tons of videos on how to do it. It's the simplest way.. I still use it for print + cuts over flexi / Onyx's print and cut... More control.

WildWestDesigns

I hate OSX, My wife uses a mac, and everytime she needs me to do something for her, I feel like pulling my hair out.

Hmmm, starting to see a pattern here. My wife also uses OSX as well.

Windows 10 though is equally as frustrating (at least in my experience) and I certainly wouldn't run it except as a no WAN connected VM. I'm so glad that I don't have to deal with either one on a day to day basis.

so while I hate macs

What, no BSD love at all (OSX is built off that kernel base)? Although, honestly I don't blame you.

ikarasu

Windows 10 though is equally as frustrating (at least in my experience) and I certainly wouldn't run it except as a no WAN connected VM. I'm so glad that I don't have to deal with either one on a day to day basis.

What, no BSD love at all (OSX is built off that kernel base)? Although, honestly I don't blame you.
It's probably that I'm not used to it. The curskr on OSX don't feel as fluid as windows.. makes using one feel weird. I'm sure you can change it, but I've never bothered.

My wife is pretty computer illiterate, so everytime she needs something done I have to do it for her. Even installing apps is weird on OSX to me... Have to open a file, then drag and drop it to your programs folder? Its just... Weird.

I've used Ubuntu, kubuntu, knopix, freebase(very little) tried most flavors of Linux, mostly just for a day or two to play with it.

I'm a creature of habit... Back when xp came out, I used it for years and years before upgrading. Skipped vista vvista completelly. Went to windows 7... Loved it, refused to use 8... Then went to 10. 10 has some stuff I like, but most stuff I hate. I want to go back to 7, and likely will sometime in the future. If I used my computer often I likely would have by now.

I only use it as a storage server... I have about 20 hd's in it, over 100tb of space. The raid card I'm using is glitchy on 10... No official drivers for 10, and it worked perfectlypin 7. Keeps giving me ntso kernel errors randomly, sometimes it'll be up for 6 months, sometimes it'll restart daily.

I like my freedom. The amount of registry tweaking and modifications needed to prevent windows from auto installing updates is insane, and even still I'll come back to a restarted PC, look in the event viewer and it was from an update.

My production PC is running Windows 7 and will stay that way. Only reason I have 10 on my "server" is because I just bought a thread ripper cpu, and wanted to test windows 10. By the time everything was setup, it was too late for me to switch it back. But I do hate windows 10 with a passion... Bill Gates should smack whoever made it and ruined the OS, it feels more like OSX to me than windows.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide

What do you use? Linux? Which distribution? I have been thinking of changing over.

WildWestDesigns

My wife is pretty computer illiterate, so everytime she needs something done I have to do it for her. Even installing apps is weird on OSX to me... Have to open a file, then drag and drop it to your programs folder? Its just... Weird.

You probably wouldn't like portable programs. Which is a shame, because they have so many advantages. On Linux, these would be along the lines of an AppImage or a binary build tree (Inkscape calls it a binary archive on their Windows version, Blender is distributed this way on Linux).

ikarasu

I love portables! I carry Illustrator/photoshop, FTP Client, browser, adware scanner, few other things on a keychain.

Like I said, I'm just a creature of habit... I actually believe Apples way is better. I haven't looked into it, but I presume all files are stored in the application folder... Whereas on windows, hundreds of DLL's get put in the system folder.. then when you uninstall, half of them end up left behind. I use Revo to fix that issue, but it's still an issue... ends up bloating everything and causing conflicts when app 1 needs version 1 of the dll, app 2 needs V1.1, etc.

It's just like how some people love Firefox vs Chrome, and Chrome vs firefox.. And some people still use Opera, etc. Once you get used to something, it just suits you better. I hate spending 2x the price on a Mac when I could build an equivlant PC for half the price... But I could say the same about buying an Lenovo vs a Dell. Windows is what I know, I can get around on linux decently well... and OSX I'm spending 30 minutes googling just to figure certain things out.

I think it has more to do with the hardware than software though... Adding a HD was a pain in the ass both physically, and software wise. For what macs are intended for, theyre great. I just prefer more customization / freedom than apple wants to give you. But in 5 years, I have a feeling microsoft will be the same.

WildWestDesigns

I just prefer more customization / freedom than apple wants to give you.

You have to remember that it was Jobs that said "A customer doesn't know what they want until you tell them."

I know where your coming from though, that's why I tend to use KDE as my preferred DE. Not only is it customize able to the nth degree, but contrary to what a lot of people think in regard to Linux, it's actually mostly GUI to invoke those changes. Even deeper changes still requires CLI, but my word, if they need even more then what the graphic tools give them, I don't think they'll ever be satisfied.

But in 5 years, I have a feeling microsoft will be the same.

I give it less then that. They are already taking things out at a decently rapid pace and they deprecate and remove and don't give people an easy option around it. Even the simple things. I had to use Power Shell to get back the Start right click Control Panel option on my dad's computer and Settings just doesn't cut it. Everything else is spread in other menus. Although I do need to set up the "GOD" folder on his rig (I'm hoping that still works).

oneearthjc

I appreciate the VERY helpful information. I am good to go. I'm not sure how this turned into a Mac vs PC debate. I am a Mac user and will continue to be a Mac user. Seems to me like the Windows people should've just skipped over this thread.

Thanks again!

ikarasu

I appreciate the VERY helpful information. I am good to go. I'm not sure how this turned into a Mac vs PC debate. I am a Mac user and will continue to be a Mac user. Seems to me like the Windows people should've just skipped over this thread.

Thanks again!
People tend to go offtopic a lot on S101, something I'm guilty of a lot, but usually try to correct myself once I realize it. I kept going because I saw your question was answered, but sorry for clogging your thread! Glad you found a solution.

WildWestDesigns

Thanks again!

I'm one of the old farts that believe that Macs are actually PCs (Mac v PC was more of a marketing ploy by Apple to try to set some differentiation between them and Windows back in the Windows 9x era and it really worked), especially with how we use them.

However, this is actually fairly tame compared to a diesel v gas v electric thread or one vehicle company versus the next. I don't miss those threads at all.

I know I'm guilty of going off topic (especially in this thread) as ikarasu mentioned.

Sandman

It's probably that I'm not used to it. The curskr on OSX don't feel as fluid as windows.. makes using one feel weird. I'm sure you can change it, but I've never bothered.
That's funny because I feel the same way but opposite. My Mac curser is smooth as silk but when I run Windows, not as much. Could be the mouse, not Mac OS. BTW, running Windows 7 on my Mac through Bootcamp, not VM. VM doesn't use the graphics card, it's simulated so when I tried Parallels with Artcam, every time I used a carving tool the screen would go blank.

Sandman

I use Mac and Vinyl Master Cut. It's like $50 or $60 bucks, comes with clip art, you can create with fonts and clip art or import vector art from other programs like Illustrator or Ink Scape. As a bridge program fpr cutting it is great because you can make changes to colors and cut by color, delete objects, etc.