• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for new desktop printer for office

Vinylman

My wife has worn out another desk top printer, and we need some insite into what others use for their everyday color printers in your office.
What do you use, what do you dislike?
What about cost of ink cartridges?
Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Check out the printers made by Dell.com. I have two and have had them for almost 8 years now. One is a scanner/copy/fax B&W only (1600n), and the other is a full color with multiple trays. Both are laser printers. I wouldn't get a inkjet at all, but that's just me.

njshorts

Your usage and budget will really make this decision for you...

For us, after going through a new HP/Brother every year or two- we switched to Xerox's Phaser series (Laser only, no solid-ink... that stuff sucks and is terribly expensive). In addition, we use 3rd party inks that cost half of OEM with the same results... our 6180dn has become our workhorse, including calibrated proofing and prints the occasional shortrun business card/flyer.

edit- forgot to mention, the xerox laser that we currently have is 6 years old. runs like a champ, prints multiple times daily, no issues.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I second using Xerox laser if that meets your needs. And Brother is the worse of all of them. When we started the business 10 years ago I got a cheapo $150 Brother all in one machine. I broke in a few months. And I upgraded to the Dell 1600n Laser Multifunction for around $300. I've never had a HP inkjet or laser but when I replace my Dell 1600n it's going to be another Dell Laser.

Vinylman

I seemed to leave out that this is a SMALL desktop unit for my wife's work. Inkmade cards so color is important to her.jet is preferred, and we don't want to spend over $150. The ink costs are also a major consideration, as they many times are as much as the cost of the printer. Currently been using epsonCX7400, but want to hear from others as to the pros and cons as well as the cost of replacement ink carts? Anyone having luck with CIS systems? on their desktop printer? My wife likes to print her photos for custom hand made cards so color is important, but her work is on the hobby end of the color scale.

Si Allen

I have an Epson Workforce 30 ... and am very pleased with it.

Aftermarket ink is available on line for about 1/3 the price of Epson ink.

OldPaint

i would take a look at CIS INK.com. THEN....i would gt a printer tht will accept one of their bulk ink systems. i have an HP OFFICEJET K850. this prints 13X19 down to 4X5. and all inbetween. has separate printheads and separate ink carts. OEM carts for mine are $38 for each of the 4 colors. i went with a CIS INK bulk system. has 4 external tanks that hold nearly 4 oz of ink. these are attached with a hose to 4 ink carts in the printer. the carts and tanks cost me $50. i buy 1 set of 4oz bottles of blk, cyan,yellow & magenta for $28!!!!
and i never run outa ink)))