• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

looking for new desktop printer

bigben

Hi folks!

I need your help for this. I'm looking for a color printer (laser or inkjet) that can print up to 11X17 or 13X19. I will use this for regular printing (invoice, quote, etc.), visual proofs (don't need to be perfect) and I would like to print short run of flyers for myself. I would like something that will get a professinal results looking.

I've checked this on the web for the last 2 months and did'nt find anything that is perfect, execpt production printer at 6000$+. I would like to spend less than 1000$, but I'm willing to go up to 1500$.

So... any idea?

Thanks.

V-ENGRAVE

Bigben - have you checked into Ricoh GX7000 gel printer?
I have seen it at Con-sac show. It is fast full color printer that you can use for sublimation as well as for document printer.

Letterbox Mike

We have an HP 2600 color laser printer that's been used and abused for 4+ years and keeps plugging along. I paid $299 for it new, it's dirt cheap to run full color pages on. All of our estimates and invoices are printed on it in full color. I also have an Epson 1400 inkjet on my desk, runs up to 13x19. I print critical proofs on it. Paid abot $300 for it as well. My suggestion woudl be to get both. You will absolutely hate printing invoices and everyday letter-sized paperwork on an inkjet, slower than dirt and the cost will eat you alive. Use an inkjet for things that need to look nicer, and get a decent cheap laser for the less critical stuff. And there are a million printing places with short-run digital color printing capabilities now, have them print your flyers and brochures, the quality will be far better than you'd ever get off of even a high-end office laser.

bigben

Bigben - have you checked into Ricoh GX7000 gel printer?
I have seen it at Con-sac show. It is fast full color printer that you can use for sublimation as well as for document printer.

Seems to be a great printer. I will make some research about it and check where I can find it.

We have an HP 2600 color laser printer that's been used and abused for 4+ years and keeps plugging along. I paid $299 for it new, it's dirt cheap to run full color pages on. All of our estimates and invoices are printed on it in full color. I also have an Epson 1400 inkjet on my desk, runs up to 13x19. I print critical proofs on it. Paid abot $300 for it as well. My suggestion woudl be to get both. You will absolutely hate printing invoices and everyday letter-sized paperwork on an inkjet, slower than dirt and the cost will eat you alive. Use an inkjet for things that need to look nicer, and get a decent cheap laser for the less critical stuff. And there are a million printing places with short-run digital color printing capabilities now, have them print your flyers and brochures, the quality will be far better than you'd ever get off of even a high-end office laser.

I currently run a hp color laser and a black & white laser multifonction. I will keep my multifuction for fax, copy, etc. But I want something good for color.

And about sub out my short runs, I've found no one im my area who have decent prices for short runs. I would prefer to print them by myself.

curtrnev

H.P. multifunction at home no problems H.P. laser and Okidata at work no problems.I tried a epson they SUCK. The H.P. laser at work probably see's 3 to 5 hundred prints a week and the Okidata around 175 a week and no problems out of them at all. The H.P. at home does not see anywhere near that volume but it still runs fine.

Letterbox Mike

If you want high-quality (as in print shop quality) prints out of an office machine, you might look into a used Xerox Doc12 or something similar, especially if you are set on printing marketing materials in house.

D&Tgraphics

Have you ever considered leasing a color copier? I did it about two years ago and I'm so happy I did. You will pay a per print price but it covers all of the toner costs and other consumables plus maintenance. You can get great print quality and speed. I don't know how I got by without it before.

TheSellOut

Have you ever considered leasing a color copier? I did it about two years ago and I'm so happy I did. You will pay a per print price but it covers all of the toner costs and other consumables plus maintenance. You can get great print quality and speed. I don't know how I got by without it before.
'

What type printer did you get? and where abouts did you get it? TIA

GB2

Old Member
The Brother MFC-6490CW is a low cost MF inkjet that will provide scanning and printing of 11" x 17". The reviews are mixed on this item but it sure offers a nice package of functionality at the right price.

Matt-Tastic

Xerox Phasers are great, and if you get a refurb from a business surplus store, you can get a great deal.

if you're planning on doing a lot of printing on it, leasing is an awesome option. Xerox and canon make some great printers that also scan and copy. you can get options for flat rate (higher) or per click charges (cheaper if you print a lot)

either way, good luck!

MBCSigns

I love our new HP Officejet pro 8500. We bought it @ office depot for a/b $300-$400. I was looking for one for the same reasons. I just needed a quote/email/invoicing printer for the office. It features direct and wireless printing (color/blk & white), scanner/copier (choice of feed tray or the lift top), fax. The color prints great. I've really been pleased with the purchase. Good Luck in Your Search!

OldPaint

i have an HP K850. older version of the 8550 ,HP 7000. ive had it for 3-4 years and it prints 11x17 PHOTOS BEAUTIFULLY. i cant afford 13x19 photo paper.