• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for Rasterlink Pro 2 dongle

Good afternoon,
I recently purchase a JV3 off ebay that came with no software. I am currently taking our dongle from work to the house to do my personal printing. Does anyone have a Pro 2 dongle they would be interested in selling?

Thanks
Blair

Typestries

not to be a smart ass, but how does your boss feel about his valuable dongle going home with you?

Welcome to owning a business, it costs money to run a business. Have fun and good luck. Oh wait, welcome to the forums!

Bigdawg

Just Me
And I have to ask... if it came with no software... why do you need a dongle?

Cuz' if you'd bought some legit software that needed the dongle... you'd have it...

Bigdawg

Just Me
Let me get this clear.

You are running software you got from "somewhere" because you don't want to pay for it and you are on here looking for a dongle so it will actually work without taking the dongle from your day job home.

Is that correct?

I am a production manager at an Exhibit house, so we are not real big on "retail" sign work. I approached my boss about starting a sign shop in my basement, and he replied " sounds like a good idea". We upgraded rip machines at work and the old machine still has Rasterlink loaded, so we thought the easiest way for me to get the machine up and running was to take it home and use the dongle between machines.

I have been talking to Grimco, who we purchase all our material from for the jv3 130 and 160sp. They have been trying to locate a dongle for me as well. I have rasterlink pro from 2004 with dongle, but it's almost not worth using. My mimaki rep from Grimco thought I could use the old security key from rasterlink pro to run pro 2. This did not work.

Bigdawg

Just Me
What you are doing is illegal. Period.

In my eyes (and I could be wrong) you have a license for one copy of the software. Not two. Just because you have the software "still loaded" does not mean you get to take it home and use it. Hence, the dongle. Asking for us to help (provide a dongle) for your illegal software is explicitly against forum rules. Did you by chance read them?

So I will assume you didn't know that what you are doing is illegal. So now you do. Whatchya gonna do now?

And I'll let others chime in on the start a sign shop in my basement.

SE SignSupply

What you are doing is illegal. Period.

In my eyes (and I could be wrong) you have a license for one copy of the software. Not two. Just because you have the software "still loaded" does not mean you get to take it home and use it. Hence, the dongle. Asking for us to help (provide a dongle) for your illegal software is explicitly against forum rules. Did you by chance read them?

So I will assume you didn't know that what you are doing is illegal. So now you do. Whatchya gonna do now?

And I'll let others chime in on the start a sign shop in my basement.

If he purchases another dongle (license), why is it illegal? The dongle is the license, the software will not run without it, so if he purchases the dongle he has purchased another license.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Thanks - I didn't know the dongle was the software...

every dongled software I've had has been one software license...

so I stand corrected? I think... :smile:

SE SignSupply

Thanks - I didn't know the dongle was the software...

every dongled software I've had has been one software license...

so I stand corrected? I think... :smile:

I don't know? The way I have always understood it the dongle was the license. So you could, in effect, install the software on as many PC's as you wanted but it would only run on the one with dongle pulling in (physically).

Versaworks software is licensed to the machine, you can install on as many PC's as you like, the license is tied to the physical printer not the computer.

PS- The latest version of RasterLink does not require a dongle to run. :thumb:

briankb

Premium Subscriber
the license I have for Flexisign allows you to install the software on mutliple computers and even "share" the USB dongle as long as only a single instance is in use at one time. it's in the printed manual.