• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for recommendations: mounting tape, semi-permanant (12mo)

PrintQueen

I'm looking for recommendations for a mounting tape that can secure some thin styrene-ish posters (12x18) to multiple surfaces for approx. 12mo, but able to be removed without leaving residue.

Back story to the project -- I work at a university. We are offering 'covid-kits' to departments across campus. We'll be offering these 12x18 posters on a material thats similar to styrene (20mil rigid 'vinyl'). They'll be offset printed (so I don't really have anything to do with printing/material, just installation).
We are running a prototype with install next Wednesday, throughout one of the buildings. We are looking for a mounting take that will be able to stick these posters up, on multiple types of wall surfaces, for about a year. The catch is that I have to try to find a tape that can be removed after those 12 months, without leaving permanent adhesive residue behind.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Last edited:

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
The 12 months part is what makes this very challenging.
Check out Velcro - removable mounting tape. Check the different strengths, i.e., "Holds 2lbs","Holds 5lbs" etc.
Check with Cody Martin on his offer for Orafol tape. Especially the removable part.

Steenland

Old Member
I also recommend 3M Command Strips. Get the large 16-lb strips and put one in each corner. (Maybe overkill for 12" x 18", but that's what I would use.) Easy to work with. I burnish them onto the panel with a wallpaper seam roller. Bonus: they have two parts, stuck together like velcro, so if you don't get the panel up straight on the first try, you can rip it off and try again.

They'll stay up for months, and come off easy and clean when the time comes. Be sure to follow the removal instructions to avoid pulling off paint. Pull them down, not out. A pair of pliers is helpful if they are stubborn.

We use them all the time to hold up Gatorfoam and Sintra panels for temporary exhibits (6 months to 18 months).

Sam's Club has the best price on them in my area.