Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Looking for satin / luster look adhesive material

Discussion in 'Materials' started by akuarela, Jan 28, 2020.

1. akuarela

akuarela Member

Jul 29, 2006
    Oklahoma
    I am tasked with redoing some panels that have been overlaid with some adhesive material with a luster look, similar to a photo paper, but adhesive. Not sure if we will be able to find out what was used originally, so looking for suggestions / alternatives. The backing on the original material is white (some of the original panels will remain, and they are glass so can be seen from the back).

Thanks!

2. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    satin wrap vinyl

• Like Like x 1
  3. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Luster laminate

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. akuarela

akuarela Member

Jul 29, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Thanks, that would be kind of obvious, except that the original job that we are tasked to match, was not laminated

5. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    unlaminated? madness.....
    cured ink has a luster finish, i guess? not to poke fun, but if you're slapping out unlaminated prints then why sweat the details. you can print on matte/glossy media, and your ink is going to cure the same finish every time.

• Like Like x 2
  6. akuarela

akuarela Member

Jul 29, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Help please fellow sign people, still looking... Thought I had kind of the right look, but it happened to be a static cling material sample sent from Arlon.
    As for wrap materials, well, the ones that have the right look (maybe I don't have a sample), seem to be non-printable, as 3m 2080.

7. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    3m has lustre 8519, that does not seem to be any different than gloss 8518. I'd recommend satin Arlon materials for the finish, it's a very nice middle road between flat and glossy.
    I did notice the other day that on gloss ij35c, my ink has a more matte finish than the unprinted film, printed with my HP 560. If it's full coverage printing, you may find a white backed material and try a latex printer.

• Like Like x 1
  8. akuarela

akuarela Member

Jul 29, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Thank you, JBurton. What I am looking for is not a laminate, as the original was done unlaminated. I print on the ij35, with my 365, still has more shine than what I'm needing. As for Arlon, there are some "industrial" line products that may work, trying to get a sample. Of the samples that they sent me the one that had the approximate look was a static cling (DPF 50WD white).

9. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    Is the finish an even satin look or does the white/unprinted areas have a bit different luster?

10. akuarela

akuarela Member

Jul 29, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Bannertime, it does seem like the whole thing has a satin look, there was plenty of white in the originals, which I cannot access until we get a sample to our office as to match the colors, etc.
    Whoever is left with a minimum of info, as the original people that did are not in business, it seems like it might have been ordered from Agfa (which is now Duratex/Grimco), but apparently nothing like this is available there.

11. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    You may try ij35 in matte or luster, I've tried the 40c in a matte, but it seemed that the ink swung the finish back to satin. Is there any reason you can't laminate your prints even though the others were not?

• Like Like x 1
  12. RISEgraphics

RISEgraphics Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Wait - are you trying to replace certain panels and leave some existing? And to match colors to an unlaminated material that will likely have fading/wear?

• Like Like x 1
  13. akuarela

akuarela Member

Jul 29, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Thanks JBurton, finally got one of the old panels at our office, and indeed it is more matte in the less inked areas, and more satin in the heavier printed ones. I'll check on the matte materials.

14. akuarela

akuarela Member

Jul 29, 2006
    Oklahoma
    RISEgraphics That is the case, it is indoors, but will still fade I guess. So, we'll do our best, run color tests, etc.