• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for slitter recommendations

victor bogdanov

I'm thinking of buying a slitter, so far I've only come across the rosenthal slitter and a company from Spain that looks like it will be more expensive. I need something cheap for light/occasional use. Any other brands out there. Alibaba seems to have some but they look like they are more for cutting just the paper cores not full rolls.

Preferably under 5k, used also Ok

1.jpeg

ikarasu

We use a sliding miter saw.

You tape it up with a few rounds of tape and just cut it down.... We use a fine tooth, but I've wanted to get a non tooth one and see how it does. It's a little rough on the edge, but still works ok.

I've looked and looked.for a slitter, they're all for industrial use only and cost like 15-20k.... Didn't make sense to bring it in house when our suppliers only charge $10. For the few times we need to do it in a pinch, a miter works great.

victor bogdanov

I use a sliding miter saw now, just want something less dusty and something I don't have to roll outside. Cutting with the miter saw is great just hate the cleanup process after cutting 10-20.

Might try to make a slitter out of an old wood lather I have, seems simple just no time

20220627_142008.jpg

bradh

Premium Subscriber
We have a rosenthal slitter, it looks exactly like the one in your picture. It does a great job cutting down rolls.

JBurton

Signtologist
I use a sliding miter saw now, just want something less dusty and something I don't have to roll outside. Cutting with the miter saw is great just hate the cleanup process after cutting 10-20.

Might try to make a slitter out of an old wood lather I have, seems simple just no time

View attachment 166637
Have you tried using the vacuum port? I haven't but worth a shot for a cleaner process.
I'd also suggest either building a rig with wheels to let you turn the roll on as you're cutting, or get one of those premask dispensers and grind the edges off so you can drop a full roll on it and turn it. I never seem to get the roll spun over without misaligning the second cut.

ikarasu

Vacuum wouldn't help. The problem is (at least with SAV) is the glue trends to make the dust stick everywhere.

The teeth chew up the vinyl, whereas a non teeth blade slices it.... That's why I want to get a non teeth blade one day and see how it does.

Production splitters are the same concept, theroll rolls and the top part is a knife, so you're cutting into the material produces a pretty much dust free cut.... I still think buying a toothless saw blade and using that should cut down on so much of the dust theoretically.

Snydo

The Rosenthal in your image is an absolutely great machine, we've had ours a little over a year now and it's just one of those machines that you wonder how you lived without it.
The thing is built like a tank and weighs almost as much as one.

victor bogdanov

The Rosenthal in your image is an absolutely great machine, we've had ours a little over a year now and it's just one of those machines that you wonder how you lived without it.
The thing is built like a tank and weighs almost as much as one.
Yes would be nice to have, looks like and amazing machine. Got a quote on it and came out to be about twice what I was ready to pay.

victor bogdanov

The teeth chew up the vinyl, whereas a non teeth blade slices it.... That's why I want to get a non teeth blade one day and see how it does.

Production splitters are the same concept, theroll rolls and the top part is a knife, so you're cutting into the material produces a pretty much dust free cut.... I still think buying a toothless saw blade and using that should cut down on so much of the dust theoretically.

This gives me an idea to somehow combine a lathe with the miter saw using the toothless blade. Lay the roll on the rollers, spin it with lather and use the miter saw toothless blade. Now if I only had time

JBurton

Signtologist
Vacuum wouldn't help. The problem is (at least with SAV) is the glue trends to make the dust stick everywhere.

I can't imagine what a toothless blade would be used for, nor could I imagine where the material goes between the two sides of the cut. Unless you're spinning an incredibly thin blade, I would imagine it would bury and wedge in the material. Not to mention, where does the heat go? If you were able to rotate the material at the same rate as the blade, you wouldn't generate as much heat, but that would be a challenge.
I was toying with idea to make a smaller 'toothless' blade out of 1/4" aluminum to cut down extra wide rolls of tape, but the conclusion I came to was how can I make a part stiff enough to cut while narrow enough to fit in the space betwixt.
Lay the roll on the rollers, spin it with lather and use the miter saw toothless blade.
Yeah, something like that, though in an ideal world something like a take up reel on your laminator would be ideal for turning, though I wouldn't put a saw anywhere nearby, and I'm unsure how to make a rigid enough blade mount to not wobble all over the place without doing too much to the laminator, hate to give up one tool to make another.
Here's a though, why not pick up a cheap-ish automated laminator, then just run the material through with a blade mounted along the path? It would be slow, and more prone to scoping the material, but it would be dust free-ish and not as 'risky'.

victor bogdanov

Yeah, something like that, though in an ideal world something like a take up reel on your laminator would be ideal for turning, though I wouldn't put a saw anywhere nearby, and I'm unsure how to make a rigid enough blade mount to not wobble all over the place without doing too much to the laminator, hate to give up one tool to make another.
Here's a though, why not pick up a cheap-ish automated laminator, then just run the material through with a blade mounted along the path? It would be slow, and more prone to scoping the material, but it would be dust free-ish and not as 'risky'.

That's a great idea, I'm seeing laminators on alibaba for 1k that could serve as a foundation for the slitter, some actually come with slitting knifes and looks like no limit to how many knifes can be put on for slitting roll labels etc.

JBurton

Signtologist
about to order this, $900 with 12 knifes, hard to beat

Report back on how well it tracks, would ya? Aside from cheap knives dulling halfway through a roll (that surely you could replace with a better blade) only problem I could see is it not tracking straight.

victor bogdanov

Report back on how well it tracks, would ya? Aside from cheap knives dulling halfway through a roll (that surely you could replace with a better blade) only problem I could see is it not tracking straight.
I think it will be great, I might actually go with the full laminator version and have them add the 12 slitters. The laminator version is only 1k more and I know it will be a great laminator because it is the same one Colex sells/rebrands.

Making decision today, $900 slitter only or $1800 laminator with 12 slitters. $600 freight to my door

https://www.mefu.cn/roll-laminator/pro-series/mf1700-c3.html

says knifes are rated for 15000m

jfiscus

Rap Master
That's not exactly a slitter. Kind of, it "slits" on the take-up end, but it doesn't slit entire rolls quickly. And then you still have to cut down exact cores somehow manually for the slit vinyl you now have on the take-up of the laminator and then re-wind that vinyl onto cores again.

victor bogdanov

That's not exactly a slitter. Kind of, it "slits" on the take-up end, but it doesn't slit entire rolls quickly. And then you still have to cut down exact cores somehow manually for the slit vinyl you now have on the take-up of the laminator and then re-wind that vinyl onto cores again.

I'll be mostly using the knife slitters to slit rolls of labels, seems to work just like label slitters except much wider

I'll also try rigging a miter saw with toothless blade for chopping whole rolls.

jfiscus

Rap Master
The problem with using a toothless blade on a roll of vinyl is that you really want both of them to roll at the same speed to cut cleanly through them.