• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for software recommendations for imposition/step and repeat

cday119

I am looking into streamlining a process of creating name badges. Does anyone have any recommendations for imposition/step and repeat software that could do the following:
  • Import an EPS or InDesign file
  • Connect text fields to a spreadsheet of names
  • Auto adjust the font size to fit the different lengths of names
  • Import an image based on a field in the spreadsheet
  • Output a pdf or eps with multiple layers and custom cut marks
Basically what I would like to do is print the badges with a flatbed uv printer, multiple badges on a sheet of ~30 mil plastic, and then cut out the badges on a laser engraver. Right now we have a DCS flatbed UV printer with ColorByte and a Gravograph laser engraver with the print and cut camera.

It's a lot to ask, and there may be a need for multiple software solutions, but I am hoping some of you may have some recommendations.

Thank you!

I run a 13 year old gravograph, a CNC, 5 Digital UV and latex printers, also digital label printers and finishing systems, nearly all of my file prep happens in Adobe Illustrator.

There is an abundance of training resources online as well.

cday119

I run a 13 year old gravograph, a CNC, 5 Digital UV and latex printers, also digital label printers and finishing systems, nearly all of my file prep happens in Adobe Illustrator.

There is an abundance of training resources online as well.

Nice! Do you use any plugins for Illustrator?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Sounds a lot like you can automate pretty much all of this in indesign.

If you set up the file correctly you can merge photos/text into the file.

there’s scripts that will fit the text to your text box size

maybe a master page for the cut marks? Depending on the marks they should be on the output in indesign too.

If you set up a card size and place that in your desired sheet size, when you go to merge you can also merge to the desired sheet size and it’ll auto step it up for you and you can choose a space between copies.

We use this for setting up loads of business cards at once with different names/photos so I can’t see why it can’t be changed to fit your needs