• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for some "Professional" Expertise

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You sound a tad bit snivelly.
You are just an employee.

You get paid for hours of work for a reason.

What do you have to offer?

I am thinking you show up late for work and have an excuse.
Make your point now.

Why are you worth more than $10.75 / hr ?

What can you do for me, (or any employer)?

As an employer, I never cared about my workers life style or children.

You need to make yourself valuable.
Make yourself necessary.

Lots of others want an entry level job.

What do you know how to do?

One through seven..... Make a list.

I am guessing you run out of s#it at three.

Reality is brutal.

And they call me 'old and grumpy' ?? You're just grumpy.

No sense writing anything to you..... as you won't read it.... or maybe not understand it.

Have fun and go do some more fishin' or whatever it is you say you do. :rock-n-roll:

SolitaryT

I'll respond to Stanton, because one of my very good friends and mentors would challenge me to answer such questions in an effort to give the same thought to my response to any given situation.

What do I have to offer? I bring to the table over ten years of experience, familiarity with Adobe, SignLab, Omega, FlexiSign, CASMate, ArtCAM, VCarve, and Vinyl Express; ShopBot, Onyx, Wasatch, and VersaWORKS, Activity, Cyrious, and SignVOX, Mimaki, Roland, ColorSpan, Seiko, HP, Mutoh, and EDGE printers, CNC Routers, Laser Engravers, and can confidently say (as anyone in the industry worth minimum wage) that I can cut vinyl on any plotter.

I'm required to be at work by 9, and I haven't showed up a single day later than 8:38.

I'm worth more than $10.75/hour because I start work when I get here, and I don't stop until the jobs are done, regardless of what time it is. If it's after closing time, so be it. If it's before closing time, then reports get run, the floors get swept, and the loose ends are tied. Furthermore, I'm worth more than $15/hour because I find solutions to problems and I'm not afraid to discuss the process with my employer or my customer. Additionally, I'm worth more than $18/hour because I was a production manager for a nation-wide specialty company at age 21, and, as a production manager more recently, have largely been responsible for re-branding and reviving shops in creative ways to fit a niche that has brought in profit previously unmatched in the company history.

What can I do for you? What do you need? Organization? Design talent? A face for customers so you can get into the nuts and bolts of production? You tell me what you need, and I'll deliver on your expectations and more.

As a manager who has had staff with families, I've found that giving them the freedom to do what needs to be done, time for their kids births, school plays, trips to check out colleges, stickers and gifts, has always equated to an increase in overall production and morale. In this regard, I don't feel bad saying that an inability to do that is simply hurting your own bottom line, plain and simple.

Am I necessary? If I don't work for you, obviously not. If I do, you can ask the boss I just left to take this job to be closer to family (see previous point), he had to hire three people to do what I did.

Lots of other people deserve an entry-level job, and everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves. But if you expect entry-level quality work from me for entry-level pay, don't expect me to lift a finger in your shop. I've paid my dues, and my track record proves it.

Making a list of things I can do? I topped 7 in my first point.

What else do you have for me, sir, besides a barely-noticed exercise in typing on my part.

You sound a tad bit snivelly.
You are just an employee.

You get paid for hours of work for a reason.

What do you have to offer?

I am thinking you show up late for work and have an excuse.
Make your point now.

Why are you worth more than $10.75 / hr ?

What can you do for me, (or any employer)?

As an employer, I never cared about my workers life style or children.

You need to make yourself valuable.
Make yourself necessary.

Lots of others want an entry level job.

What do you know how to do?

One through seven..... Make a list.

I am guessing you run out of s#it at three.

Reality is brutal.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
your question

your question strikes a chord here.
i too have had a long road to get here. i worked at two fastsigns for almost twenty years. i found this shop and plunked everything i had into it. it came with everything that runs. plotter, printer, macs and such. the phones were ringing quite well when a surveyed it. Four years later and i have no regrets but pricing not set high enough and not doing this earlier.

i would leave that shop and move to the top three "productive" cities in this country. it sounds like your talents would be more appreciated by those shops, who, would pay what you are asking for.
i had one guy here when i came in who was running the place. he was getting over 20 an hour. it worked perfect, though, and got a job that offers insurance since he has 5 kids. i slid into his seat since don't pay myself the way he was.

good luck and don't feed the trolls!!!
-Mosher

Stanton

don't waste time on this stanton douch bag, who clearly didn't bother to read anything anyway... what a blowhard loser...

I agree with you.

Stanton, you sound like a miserable person......I'm guessing on a list from 1 to 10 you can get to ten x-wives, on an ego scale you probably think your off the charts, you probably think people are worth less than minimum wage.....and, I don't have anymore time for you.

Yep . . . I suck.

And they call me 'old and grumpy' ?? You're just grumpy.

No sense writing anything to you..... as you won't read it.... or maybe not understand it.

Have fun and go do some more fishin' or whatever it is you say you do. :rock-n-roll:

I'm not just Grumpy.

I just do my thing.
I know I am a butt hole.

I would hug you in person.

I totally respect you.

I'll respond to Stanton, because one of my very good friends and mentors would challenge me to answer such questions in an effort to give the same thought to my response to any given situation.

What do I have to offer? I bring to the table over ten years of experience, familiarity with Adobe, SignLab, Omega, FlexiSign, CASMate, ArtCAM, VCarve, and Vinyl Express; ShopBot, Onyx, Wasatch, and VersaWORKS, Activity, Cyrious, and SignVOX, Mimaki, Roland, ColorSpan, Seiko, HP, Mutoh, and EDGE printers, CNC Routers, Laser Engravers, and can confidently say (as anyone in the industry worth minimum wage) that I can cut vinyl on any plotter.

I'm required to be at work by 9, and I haven't showed up a single day later than 8:38.

I'm worth more than $10.75/hour because I start work when I get here, and I don't stop until the jobs are done, regardless of what time it is. If it's after closing time, so be it. If it's before closing time, then reports get run, the floors get swept, and the loose ends are tied. Furthermore, I'm worth more than $15/hour because I find solutions to problems and I'm not afraid to discuss the process with my employer or my customer. Additionally, I'm worth more than $18/hour because I was a production manager for a nation-wide specialty company at age 21, and, as a production manager more recently, have largely been responsible for re-branding and reviving shops in creative ways to fit a niche that has brought in profit previously unmatched in the company history.

What can I do for you? What do you need? Organization? Design talent? A face for customers so you can get into the nuts and bolts of production? You tell me what you need, and I'll deliver on your expectations and more.

As a manager who has had staff with families, I've found that giving them the freedom to do what needs to be done, time for their kids births, school plays, trips to check out colleges, stickers and gifts, has always equated to an increase in overall production and morale. In this regard, I don't feel bad saying that an inability to do that is simply hurting your own bottom line, plain and simple.

Am I necessary? If I don't work for you, obviously not. If I do, you can ask the boss I just left to take this job to be closer to family (see previous point), he had to hire three people to do what I did.

Lots of other people deserve an entry-level job, and everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves. But if you expect entry-level quality work from me for entry-level pay, don't expect me to lift a finger in your shop. I've paid my dues, and my track record proves it.

What else do you have for me, sir, besides a barely-noticed exercise in typing on my part.

I made you type a response.

Life is a game. Play along.

I am a tool.

-Glenn Stanton

(Look at me as a disaster.)

iSign

You didn't "make" him do $#!+

His mentor challenged him to make something of himself, and win more respect from his peers here, simply by standing higher and seeing further than you and your games...

There stanton... go think you made me jump hoops for ya
Whatever floats yer ego

Stanton

His mentor challenged him to make something of himself, and win more respect from his peers here, simply by standing higher and seeing further than you and your games...

There stanton... go think you made me jump hoops for ya
Whatever floats yer ego

Think hard...

I love all of you.

Make bank.

I am harsh.

I fish a few days a week.
Out over the horizon.

Made my cash.

Favorite fishing spot is the East Butterfly. 52 miles out.

(google if you care.) (San Diego...(hint))

Live life ferociously.

I have stories to tell...

Entertain the grand kids.

Life is not hard after you have $$$$$ in the bank..

Make fun of me..,. I don't care.

-Glenn

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer

-------

I have Stanton blocked so I can't see his post or read his lame private messages, and really don't
feel like wasting time reading his stuff as I have money to make myself... but.

I see a lot of people with 10 - 15 - even over 30 years experience and still design (and produce)
like a mom and pop sign shop. A good production guy can be worth 25-30... but the places that
paid me that much were going at lightning speed doing 200-250k a month. Of course they have
new computers nice equipment and people to support that.

The question is... are you any good? Yeah you "know" the software and process... but are you really good?

If you are a glorified vinyl cutter/printer... you should still be making more that $10.75 but if you
want to make more than that... you might have to expand your skills. I was like you, working for peanuts
and working like I was taught too... my philosophy was, make a huge hole when you leave... and I did...
problem was, I was not looking out for myself like I should have. I started getting more skills, learning more
about high end signs and asking, then demanding more money. I worked my way up to a substantial amount.

A few things you should do:

-- Stop undervaluing your work. No one will value your skills more than you.
-- Show someone your work... someone who tells it like it is. Get an honest assessment of where you are at.
not where you think you are.
-- Know that you need to know more about this business.
-- Stop saving sign shops... you have a kid, start getting paid!

iSign

Dude....
You never needed me coming to your defense, but I want to wish you all the success you will claim in years ahead.

I posted a time or two around here, but barely read a thread a month this last 2 years.... but I remember this place well, and the players, and the games... (me & my gamesmanship included.... good, bad & ugly) ...and truth be told, unless I'm here just to seek info quick (like I was supposed to be doing) I enjoy the personality of these raucous halls of signs101...

...and honestly I thought your thread would be another train wreck of familiarity where noob employee with delusions of grandeur gets schooled by the rabid dogs of reality with regard to employer points of view, often missed by less astute employees...

Anyway, I consider myself to have been too loyal for my own good a few times as an employee in this industry, and expect a lot from employees as a result...

...so I think I have a decent read on prospects who get it, vs those who don't...

And I think you get it, and will get paid for that. Don't settle... that would be the only thing that should keep you from having a decent job...

..now don't get carried away with wage requirements because of a few compliments ;)