• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for suggestions

thesignexpert

Hey all,

As you may (or may not) know I recently started a web site specifically geared towards helping out existing sign professionals & providing guidance for those wo are considering the industry. I won't go into all the details here but a lot of you have gone to the site and have provided some encouraging feedback... thank you very much for that.

I have made it a mission of mine to try to continually improve the site and it has occured to me that we might kill two birds with one stone. I have noticed a reoccuring theme here on the forum that seems to be somewhat disruptive for the seasoned pros and discouraging for the "newbies". Motivation and intention aside, someone posts a question or comment that makes it obvious that they are very new to this industry (call them a noob, a hobby enthusiast, a rookie.. whatever) and they end up getting flamed (web term, not a shot at you Flamey :Cool 2: ).

I would like to ask for suggestions from the community at large for ideas on specific kinds of things I could work on adding to the site that would help eleviate some of these posts but at the same time provide an easy & responsible solution for those who might be just starting (or thinking about starting) a sign shop.

Anyone interested in participating?

Tim Evans

The Sign Expert .com
"Practical Help for Sign Professionals"

gvgraphics

One of the biggest questions asked is what equipment to buy. Now some just don't know where to go to find this info and some are to lazy to search for it. By offering a place they can go to to find respectable links to this info might be a good resource for you to offer. Along with info on materials.

This would give us a place to send them to see the info while not having to explain it several times like we all have to do now.

Just a thought.

Sean

mystysue

another thing we see alot of is questions about trademarks and copyrights.. as in.. can i make this.. or why cant i make this..
I think a good section on the legal aspects and what you can legal make and not.. would be good.

thesignexpert

gvgraphics... that's a great idea and I've already started working on it. My thought was to categorize the Plotter subject into four categories...

1. Hobby enthusiast (low budget "sticker maker")
2. Beginner (intend to build a reputable sign company but no experience)
3. New Sign Pro (have at least three years experience in another shop and starting their own sign company)
4. Experienced Sign Pro (Have a couple years experience running their own sign business and looking to upgrade to a production grade machine)

I figure after that, the individual should be contributing quality experience to the forum and should have intelligent, peritinent needs that others can help with.

Also, a page on copyright infrigment and IP protection is a good idea as well.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

Tim Evans

The Sign Expert .com
'Practical Help for Sign Professionals"

Ken

I think the newbies should be encouraged to "search" the site for the relevant info they need.
Ken