• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

looking for tips - interior wall graphic install

PrintQueen

We are taking on an installation job, and I'm looking for some advice/tips/tricks/etc. Here's some background:

We will be installing wall graphics on some interior walls in a high-profile conference room. There is one wall in particular that I am a little nervous about.

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 10.50.37 AM.png

This wall has some beams that drop down. I think we are going to have 8 panels across this wall (see crude image below). TV's and mounts should all be coming down.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for installing the tops of these panels, when we run into one of these beams. We were planning on running knifeless tape along the far left and far right sides, vertically. I was thinking of running the knifeless along the top edges as well, but I'm not sure if that's the best way to work around the beams.

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 10.50.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 10.52.02 AM.png

Andy D

I know your question has more to do with working around the beams, and this kind of addresses that, if I were doing this project I would
do it with wallpaper, not pre-pasted. Wallpaper with professional wall paper paste is very forgiving.

Reveal1

If using adhesive vinyl, assuming you are overlapping panels at sides about 1/2". Align panel, tape in place remove liner to about 3-4" below beam, tack panel in place, relief cut upwards from bottom corners of beam at angle towards center top of beam. Now you have 3 triangular flaps easily fold into bottom and vertical sides of beam and trim to beam.

Are those clear acrylic panels with lettering, or printed graphic?

Andy D

It's showing standoffs, I'm guessing panels, but if that's going to be a room full of kids, there's
no way I would make them acrylic. They would have to be polycarbonate with rounded corners & I would still check code.

Reveal1

Those are young adults supposedly, but I get your point. Kind of low for a display. More likely to steal them. Done a bunch of those in acrylic. But use tamper proof standoffs w/ silicone washers, no more than 1/2" from wall, round corners, polished edges.

PrintQueen

they're going to be acrylic with cut vinyl applied, then applied to the wall at the end with standoff mounts

and thank you for that tip, that's kind of what I was envisioning at first.

this room is only used by the university's presidential cabinet. no average hands are going to be around the walls, so they're not worried about the signage walking off or anything like that. unfortunately, we don't have the option to use wallpaper; we'll be using 3M LX480MC, as it's currently our inventoried adhesive material for wall coverings.