• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking into buying a roland soljet sc-500

Red/Black86

Hi all as the title says, im looking at buying a roland soljet sc-500. it supposedly needs two new print heads, its currently running on eco sol max inks and has had the heater conversion done by roland. which im guessing is the EX upgrade done to all the sc-500 models.

I alreday do die cut signs on my ordinary plotter which has served me well and i was hoping that for a relativly cheap outlay would the sc-500 be a good machine to get me into the print market.

I have heard plenty of stories about them but i wanted to get some info from some of you guys who may had this machine in your shops and could maybe tell me about some experiences/pitfalls/great experiences with this model.

I know the machine wont be a fast printer but i dont really mind that so much starting off, but print quality and longevity unlaminated would be my biggest concern.

All info greatly appreciated guys.

Regards

Ken

rjssigns

The only things we don't laminate are short term decals/bumper stickers, indoor use products, banners and perf. Lamination is necessary for any print you want to hold up outdoors. Only exception is short term outdoor advertising.

Red/Black86

Thank you for your comment and in relation to the machine itself on the eco sol max inks would it be a good machine to start off with??

roughly how long will the eco sol max inks last outdoors, i know roland say 3 years but it that actually true??

Red/Black86

also would anyone know how to check the print and cut hours on the machine?? bearing in mind it wont print so is there a way to check it on the lcd screen??

rjssigns

No experience with that particular model, but we run a Roland with the Max inks.(forgot to mention that) The ink itself holds up well enough, but anything going on a clients vehicle gets laminate. Period. You never know what chemicals the graphic will encounter or what they use to wash the vehicle.(or not wash)LOL

You want them to come back because they are happy with your work. Not come back because of a failure.

Red/Black86

No experience with that particular model, but we run a Roland with the Max inks.(forgot to mention that) The ink itself holds up well enough, but anything going on a clients vehicle gets laminate. Period. You never know what chemicals the graphic will encounter or what they use to wash the vehicle.(or not wash)LOL

You want them to come back because they are happy with your work. Not come back because of a failure.

very good info thank you.

MrSalumi

I have one and I love it. Actually its an SJ540 (SC540 without the cut feature, but I use my Summa to cut). I have it running on 4 heads right now CMYK and I can keep up with pretty much anything out there. Don't be afraid of its age or hours/shots these are workhorses and are meant to be worked.

If you want a shot count you'll have to run a test print which will give you specifics on the individual heads.

Red/Black86

I have one and I love it. Actually its an SJ540 (SC540 without the cut feature, but I use my Summa to cut). I have it running on 4 heads right now CMYK and I can keep up with pretty much anything out there. Don't be afraid of its age or hours/shots these are workhorses and are meant to be worked.

If you want a shot count you'll have to run a test print which will give you specifics on the individual heads.

thank you for the responese. i was told this machine is a 2003 machine so its not that old really i dont think.

the machine im looking at is the sc-500 but the guy selling it is calling it an sj-500 but i think he has the name wrong but not quiet sure as i have not gone to view the machine yet.

what is the difference between your sj540 and the machine im looking at besides the cut feature, is yours a wider print? are both the machines from the same era??

Cheers

Ken

MrSalumi

An SJ540 and an SC545 are the exact same machine. The SC just has the cut feature and the SJ does not. If he is calling it and SJ-500 (which is the same as 540) make sure that it has or does not have the cut feature.

Calling an SJ/SC 540 a SC/SJ 500 is like calling a BMW 325 a BMW 3 series.. Same car but has different models, ie 318 325, 335 etc.

What does he want for the machine price wise?

FrankW

A Roland SC-500 its totally different to a Roland SC-540.

The SC-500 is this:
SC500.jpg

The SC-500 is based on the CJ-500/FJ-50, it prints with 2 DX2-Heads. They stop to sell them in 2003, 10 years ago.
The SC-540 looks like this:
SC540.jpg
The SC-540 prints with 6 DX4-Heads out of a double set of cartridges. The SC-540 starts around 2002 (shortly before the SC-500 dates out), was equipped with a heater since 2003 (EX) and get another design and VersaWorks in 2005 (545V). In 2006, the XC-540 follows this printer.

SC-500 is totally outdated, as the SC-540 too.

Red/Black86

A Roland SC-500 its totally different to a Roland SC-540.

The SC-500 is this:
View attachment 90223

The SC-500 is based on the CJ-500/FJ-50, it prints with 2 DX2-Heads. They stop to sell them in 2003, 10 years ago.
The SC-540 looks like this:
View attachment 90224
The SC-540 prints with 6 DX4-Heads out of a double set of cartridges. The SC-540 starts around 2002 (shortly before the SC-500 dates out), was equipped with a heater since 2003 (EX) and get another design and VersaWorks in 2005 (545V). In 2006, the XC-540 follows this printer.

SC-500 is totally outdated, as the SC-540 too.

in your opinion would it be a good machine to start off cheaply with?? or would it be a waste of money?? i wont say how much i am buying it for but i am getting the machine cheapish. id love a newer machine but i just cant afford a newer machine at the moment.

Baz

in your opinion would it be a good machine to start off cheaply with?? or would it be a waste of money?? i wont say how much i am buying it for but i am getting the machine cheapish. id love a newer machine but i just cant afford a newer machine at the moment.

I have one ... Had it since 2002 ... Now i have been procrastinating for a few years about wanting/needing a newer printer. And this is for only one reason .. Speed!! .. It is a slow printer. It will produce x1, 4'x8' print per hour. That's in 540 mode, 720 will take you 2 hours!

If you aren't doing much then i think it is a great starter machine. Small stickers you output at 720 and big prints you do them at 540. Inks, media, contour cut is all equal to newer models. Plus really, i am competing against allot of new printers in my area and my product is just as good as anyone elses. Design and service is what matters most.

Plus .. I think the fact that i am the one using it (owner) i have not had any major problems with this machine. Only regular consumables have been changed. Pumps, capping station and heads (im on my third set).

Good luck.

MrSalumi

Yeah I guess I was mixed up there. The SC540 is a fine machine and something that you can grow into very nicely.

FrankW

in your opinion would it be a good machine to start off cheaply with??

If you want to use it for gaming around, it could be ok. If you need a reliable production tool to serve your clients, it is no good decision to buy such old machines (with no idea what kind of additional cost could arise to bring it into working condition) ... specially if you are a beginner.

On the newer 540, there is an additional problem: it's expensive to keep them up and running. They are a lot of expensive parts in that machine, so a simple replacement of two or three print heads (of 6) could pass the current value of the machine.

Be careful if buying such machines what RIP-Software you get with them. The old roland software can't be used anymore with newer operating systems. So you could be forced to buy new RIP-software too.

Red/Black86

Thanks guys for all the imput, from what ive read it seems mostly positive about the machine being ok to start off with. all i can see as pitfalls really are the age of the machine along with the print speed and the colour choice doesnt work well on windows 7 but i have xp on a desktop and two laptops and im only running windows 7 on one other laptop so that doesnt really bother me and to be honest im going to try and get the machine as cheap as i can to make all the repairs i need to do as cost effective as possible.

thanks again for all the info and if im successful in the purchase i will keep you guys informed of how im progessing with it.

stay tuned.

regards

Ken