Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Looking to buy a flatbed uv printer

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Thomas Fischetti, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Thomas Fischetti

Thomas Fischetti Member

Oct 19, 2017
    salt lake city, Utah
    I am looking to buy a flatbed uv printer to print onto plastic cases. I am interested in the roland and mimaki. What would you guys suggest? Any experience to shed some light on either?

The mimaki is faster and less expensive, but i have heard bad things about their support.

Tags:
  2. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Mimaki in the lab at school has been great. Only issue as I recall was an ink leak. It is no speed demon but the output is beautiful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. greysquirrel

greysquirrel Active Member

Aug 13, 2015
    West Berlin, NJ
    the Roland is way too slow....for this application the Mimaki is a better solution

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thomas Fischetti

Thomas Fischetti Member

Oct 19, 2017
    salt lake city, Utah
    Awesome, thats what I figured. How long have you had your mimaki?

5. PaPrinter

PaPrinter Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    We have had the Mimaki JFX 200 2513 for I believe almost 5 years. It's a very good machine for the price. Print quality is very good even at it's fastest and lowest resolution. Service is going to depend on who is in your area. We have no problem with that. If you'd like you can call me, just send me a pm.

John

6. greysquirrel

greysquirrel Active Member

Aug 13, 2015
    West Berlin, NJ
    I don't. I used to support the Roland. I had a customer with several Mimaki printers and they loved them. Saw them run and they were pretty fast. They made custom gift cards for Disney

7. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    I am a Mimaki dealer and have a branch in SLC if you are interested.

8. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Depending on your size needs look at the vanguard vr5d or vk600d-hs. Price competitive to both but light years faster and more advanced. Paired with their support and higher quality ink it's a winning combo.

9. Superior_Adam

Superior_Adam Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    We ran a Mimaki JFX200 for 5 years. We had one of the first 9 that came into the states. Loved that machine, just outgrew it. If I had the space I woudl run multiple of them instead of 1.

10. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    As most have said here, the JFX200 is a great machine. As far as service goes, ask your dealer two questions. 1. Do you have a Mimaki certified tech who is specifically trained on the JFX on staff? 2. How many units do you have in the field?

If the answer to number 1 is yes, you are in good hands. If they say they don't, you will have to rely on Mimaki which means longer wait time and paying much more for a service call once the machine is out of warranty. The good news is, a properly setup and maintained JFX doesn't require a lot of service calls.

As far as the second answer goes, the more the better. Some smaller dealers might only have 1 or 2 in the field so haven't had a lot of experience servicing them. A tech could go to training and never see the machine again for years until you need a service call. The more machines they have in the field, the more likely they have had to go out on regular service calls.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wide Image Solutions

Wide Image Solutions Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Rockwall, TX
    We sell Hp. I'll be glad to get you info on that if you like? Thx www.Wideimagesolutions.com

12. Wide Image Solutions

Wide Image Solutions Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Rockwall, TX
  13. Thomas Fischetti

Thomas Fischetti Member

Oct 19, 2017
    salt lake city, Utah
    Thanks everyone for the input! We are now leaning towards the mimaking jfx200 EX version. Looks to be a super fast and high quality machine. We will probably take out the gloss ink and just have white ink to speed up white backfill printing.

14. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    May want to play around with the spot "varnish" first. You can turn out some super trick pieces. Should see what comes off the printer in the lab. Matte or gloss in specific areas gives visual texture and tactility.
    Of course it all comes down to your core products requirements. With white ink valid pixel may become your best friend.

15. printcolor

printcolor New Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I bought a JFX200 last year and I love the machine. It works great and we see a lot of potential to service large format needs in the short turnaround on demand market.

I have the CMYK+WW Primer and Clear and I haven't had any problems printing on most anything yet.

16. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Is there a reason you are set on Roland or Mimaki? I would implore you to look at the other options on the market as there are similar priced with much better machines and capabilities out there.

17. Thomas Fischetti

Thomas Fischetti Member

Oct 19, 2017
    salt lake city, Utah
    What other brands are you thinking of?

18. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    There are a few out there now. Ricoh makes the new Roland flatbed, there is also HP R Series. We settled on a Vanguard because it out performs all the other options and the group at Vanguard are super attentive and dedicated to service.

If you have the budget SwissQ makes amazing machine and there is also Entry level Dursts.

19. JoeDG

JoeDG Wide format trainer and creative enthusiast

Jul 16, 2018
    Bristol - UK
    I'd vote for the Roland, but don't htink you get the S-Series in the US.

20. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    After seeing your other posts on here I do not think you should be purchasing a machine. It appears you do not know the first thing about these machines so your going to go invest $75k+ on something you have zero experience in? Keep outsourcing, you are about to make some expensive mistakes! DO NOT BUY USED!

• Agree Agree x 2