• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking to buy a new laptop, advice wanted.

Turbophein

I'm not a big computer tech guy and i am looking to buy a laptop that i can design with on the road instead of always being stuck at home designing. i use corel x5 with plans of maybe switching to x6.

i hate a laggy cpu, what do you guys recommend?

4gb or 6gb?

500gb should be plenty but would like room to expand

i3 i5 i7 ??

brand?

just looking for something the will be reliable and have a price tag of $600 or under. i'm thinking black friday or cyber monday is the time to do it. anyone find any killer deals?

my cpu at home is 8gb 1tb and i7 processor, love it so far

thanks

omgsideburns

Buy whatever the best you can afford, but go pick them up and play with them because honestly it's more about how it feels than anything with a laptop.. they are all spec'd about the same.

I have an i7 with 16gb and an SSD.. it's quite a bit overkill.. but I love it. I also have an i5 with 8gb and one of the seagate hybrid drives and it is plenty fast to do anything I've needed to do.

mgcustomgraphics

I don't know of a Qosmio that's under $600 though, unless the OP goes for refurb.

of course has to be used or refurb, i dont know of any decent design capable computer for under $600, its like me saying i want a 600 hp car that does 0-60 in less than 4 sec and 1/4 mile in less than 11 sec but has to be less than $35k :thumb:

WildWestDesigns

of course has to be used or refurb, i dont know of any decent design capable computer for under $600,

Refurb/used just doesn't come to my mind first. Never had luck trying to go that route.

its like me saying i want a 600 hp car that does 0-60 in less than 4 sec and 1/4 mile in less than 11 sec but has to be less than $35k :thumb:

If it wasn't for the quarter mile and 0-60, I do believe the rest is doable.

mgcustomgraphics

Refurb/used just doesn't come to my mind first. Never had luck trying to go that route.

If it wasn't for the quarter mile and 0-60, I do believe the rest is doable.

same here used never worked for me when it comes to electronics, and actually it might be doable, maybe with a corvette on steroids?? its crazy what you can do with 5 grand and a v8 engine nowadays !!

Bly

Junkies broke into our home last week and stole 3 laptops. grrr.
Anyway insurance means we go shopping again.
I just bought an Asus Zenbook Ultrabook today.
Very nice. Light, high res display.
Seems quick too with the i5 processor.
I have travelled with my old standard sized Asus laptops and they were too bulky and heavy really. This seems perfect.

Turbophein

thanks for the replies. as far as the price, i don't think i'm to far off when you account for black friday sales and cyber monday. i think the i5 would be fine, i would maybe do 5% of my designing on it and use it for web surfing, i like the touchscreen idea...

as far as the car goes, my name says it all... 1 word DSM 1g DSM with 600hp 10sec 1/4's $8000-$15000 all day on the market, mostly streetable with AWD Fun. For a little more cash and EVO or STI... they have videos of 900hp street legal evo's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7VHT0IbaTg

Mike F

Be careful with Black Friday stuff, more often than not those products use lower quality components. You get what you pay for.

Xll_LUKE_llX

I heard the Dell XPS 12 Ultrabook is good it has the features you mentioned. There kind of pricey but if you have a dell credit card it my be worth a shot. I know some people hate on dells. I have an older XPS laptop as my backup that I have dropped, spilled coffee on and it still runs.