• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking to buy a Roland but which one

deep six

Hi all

I've been pondering over buying some sort of printer cutter for some time now and from what little I know Roland seems to be the choice. I even bought a PC50 off ebay a while back but was highly encouraged to unload it as they are not a good unit.
I'm thinking I should get a themal unit as I want to make decals for motorcycles and this would give me the best result. I don't need to make large decals as the widest would be probably 200mm.
After doing a little searching I found a couple of PC12 units that seemed well priced but not wanting to fall in to the same trap again as the PC50 saga thought I would ask you guys for some help.
How long have the PC12 been out, are they reliable, I'm guessing at some stage the print head might need to be replaced, are these expensive, difficult to fit.
Thanks in advance!!

ChiknNutz

If you want thermal, buy a Gerber Edge and you'll be much happier. Or, consider the Summa DC4sx for a 30" thermal printer. Again, either of these are much better than the PC-series thermals.

deep six

Thanks for the quick reply, there's a question I wanted to ask about the Gerber. It seems like a good machine but am I right in saying the gerber does not cut. You have to print first and then run through a cutter?? That was why I was thinking Roland!!
I do have a Chinese cutter here (which often drives me nuts) but don't think it would work as an after print cutter.

ChiknNutz

No, you need the matching sprocket cutter. Go to www.gspinc.com to see all they got. What you are after is a Gerber edge and a cutter such as the GSx, GS15 or much better Envision...plus you'll need the right software. You'll need Gerber Omega, FlexiPro or SignLab print & cut.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
there's a question I wanted to ask about the Gerber. It seems like a good machine but am I right in saying the gerber does not cut. You have to print first and then run through a cutter?? That was why I was thinking Roland!!

You will have to do the same with the Versacamm. Print, remove for laminating, then put it back in for contour cutting.

petepaz

we have a gerber edge, versacamm sp-300v and versa camm vp540
the edge is really goo but doesn't print small text real good or print 4 color process that great also i have trouble printing on certain materials like polyesters but for spot colors on vynil it is great you can print white (which is a blessing) also you can print on diferent colored vinyl and clear
the rolands are also great but for different reasons, they are faster, the 4 color process print is really good and they print smaller text alittle better but no white, printing on clear is translucent
but if you decide to go with roland check the new in proved print cut machine with the white ink (soljet 540 ? or something like that i got some samples and they looked good but you have to see the machine work and check how all the settings work also make sure there are not problems with the white ink if you don't use it every day)
now that i have confused you
good luck and go buy a printer

synergy_jim

roland

the 30" roland units will do everything you want them to do with motocross graphics. Even more than thermal units.

We use Convex 8 mil vinyls w/ 8 mil lams and have had amazing success with them.

AlexT

We purchased a Roland VP-540 six months ago, not a hick-up yet. You have to get the settings right to get it to do magic, but honestly we would be out of business without it.

54 inches is plenty wide, we seldom use anything that is wider than 48 inches, banners mostly.