• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking to buy laminator

apex

i am looking to buy a 30" laminator to mostly laminate vinyl for motorcycle wraps and decals.
im not sure if i would be better off with a heat laminator or just go with a cold.
anyone here selling anything that would suit my needs?

The Equipment Guy

Cold would do it. There are lots of choices since it sounds mostly like you will do smaller stuff, you don't really need roll to roll either. Starting at the top end, the new Seal 54el is by far my favorite. Its wider than you want though. A used seal 400 series is really nice too.

Getting into the mid ranges, Arctic titans and Royal sovereigns are big sellers.

Low end, I just sold a Daige Quikmount 4 and was pleasantly surprised at how well it demo'd.

Laminators can last for years (KEEP YOUR OPEN BLADES AWAY FROM THE ROLLER!) so if you think you might ever go for a wider printer, I would suggest keeping an open mind now for a wider laminator.

If you throw me an email, I do get guys in your area that list used stuff on my site from time to time and might be able to find you something.

Craig

apex

Cold would do it. There are lots of choices since it sounds mostly like you will do smaller stuff, you don't really need roll to roll either. Starting at the top end, the new Seal 54el is by far my favorite. Its wider than you want though. A used seal 400 series is really nice too.

Getting into the mid ranges, Arctic titans and Royal sovereigns are big sellers.

Low end, I just sold a Daige Quikmount 4 and was pleasantly surprised at how well it demo'd.

Laminators can last for years (KEEP YOUR OPEN BLADES AWAY FROM THE ROLLER!) so if you think you might ever go for a wider printer, I would suggest keeping an open mind now for a wider laminator.

If you throw me an email, I do get guys in your area that list used stuff on my site from time to time and might be able to find you something.

Craig

also i forgot to mention this will be used inside my apartment, i am taking on a lil side gig creating bike decals and stuff so im not looking for anything huge and i would like something i can tuck/hide away if needed.
i think i just found your daige for sale http://www.theequipmentguy.ca/?p=798

but i will check out your suggestions thanks

Redwave Signs

I just bought a used CODA CMP34-MS with Laminator Roll Feed Attachment.
I work from home and needed something to match up with my versacamm.
I bought it for $800 with 5 rolls of laminate.

I wish it had an automatic take-up reel, but other than that for my small runs it works fine. Every now and then I get a large order of decals and just sub them out. I wish I had gotten a larger laminator, but I couldn't make swing for a larger one right now. If you can get the larger one with more bells and whistles go for it.

http://www.codamount.com/coldmount.htm

CanuckSigns

if you are in an apartment, I would consider subbing out both the printing and laminating, i'm sure your neighbours won't appreciate the toxic fumes you are creating so close to their bedrooms.

apex

if you are in an apartment, I would consider subbing out both the printing and laminating, i'm sure your neighbours won't appreciate the toxic fumes you are creating so close to their bedrooms.

i never knew that eco-sol printing and laminating is toxic.. hmm

CanuckSigns

i never knew that eco-sol printing and laminating is toxic.. hmm

Eco sol printing is, don't believe what the salesmen tell you, the ink still has VOC's that are released, just a lower amount than full solvent inksets. We run our roland eco sol printer in a pretty big, well ventilated room and we still will get headaches during long heavy coverage prints, especially on banner material.

The salesmen will tell you whatever you want to hear to make a sale, do your own research before you put one of these machines in close proximity to your sleeping loved ones. Remember, they used to sell asbestos as a great fire proofing agent, now they are finding out it causes cancer.

Just something to think about.

apex

well thanks for the info i have it in a room in my apartment pretty large but will keep door closed and windows open, i dont make enough $$ yet to get a shop or anything

Salmoneye

Why not just run a big squeegee? I just laminated a 54" x 150' roll of material with one last week. It took me longer than a laminator would have but the prints came out wonderfully. That being said, my new laminator arrives tomorrow, literally. I still probably won't use it for any small stuff under 7'. I also have a 3/4"+ thick glass table top that makes mounting and laminating extra nice. Just think about it, no space taken, no weight, no electricity, no repairs... Only downside that I can think of is that it takes a day or so for the prints to look real clear compared to an actual laminator.

apex

i would just use a squeegee but i am not sure if the laminates come out better and last longer if they are laminated with high pressure.
they will be going on motorcycles and dirtbikes so i do not want the layers to start pealing apart.

does pressure have a big factor in this?
also what about a pouch laminator? my friend has a large pouch laminator

J

john1

I use a 32" big squeegee for all my prints for about 2 years now and no issues at all. It makes absolutely no difference on the laminate holding up any different than with a "real machine". Hell if you wanted you could laminate wraps with the BS but if your doing wraps your making enough to get a shop and big machine.

I usually laminate 4-6' long sheets of contour cut decals and have no problems.